Nassar to hear from more victims in hearing’s 4th day
Lansing – For a fourth day Friday, former sports doctor Larry Nassar will hear women detail how he sexually abused them during his sentencing hearing in Ingham County Circuit Court.
In the first three days, 69 victims and a few parents testified about the pain and trauma Nassar inflicted while molesting young athletes during medical treatment for injuries.
Still to come are another 36, for a total of 105 and possibly more, after Judge Rosemarie Aquilina said she wanted every victim who wanted to speak to have the opportunity to aid in their healing. Sentencing was scheduled for Friday but may not happen until next week.
Nassar pleaded guilty in November to seven counts of first-degree criminal sexual conduct involving seven victims between 1998 and 2015. The plea included two counts against a victim under the age of 13 and five counts against victims between the ages of 13 and 15. Prosecutors are asking for a sentence of 40 to 125 years.
For months before entering his plea, Nassar had denied the charges, which emerged after former Kalamazoo resident and gymnast Rachael Denhollander came forward in August 2016. Nassar was arrested three months later and a tip line was set up, resulting in 125 complaints to Michigan State University police.
A Detroit News investigation found that at least 14 representatives at MSU were informed of sexual misconduct complaints against Nassar while he was employed there for more than 20 years. Among those notified was President Lou Anna Simon, who was told in 2014 that a Title IX complaint and police report had been filed against an unnamed physician.