AP NEWS

Woman burned by vape pen battery explosion in Sioux Falls

February 6, 2020 GMT

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (AP) — Emergency responders say a woman suffered burns when her vape pen battery exploded in her coat pocket at a Sioux Falls bank.

The 31-year-old woman was in the CorTrust Bank when the battery exploded and caught fire, according to Sioux Falls Fire Rescue.

Battalion Chief Steve Brunette tells the Argus Leader the woman suffered burns to her hand and part of her torso.

Brunette said it’s not the first time his department has responded to a vape pen-related fire and that there have been a few similar cases in recent years.

The woman drove herself to the hospital for treatment.