Related topics

VALLEY SANTA: Disabled Mom Asks For Gifts For Two Daughters

November 15, 2018 GMT

Amanda, a disabled single mother, said she is doing her best to take care of her two daughters and keep a roof over their heads.

With the cost of rent, bills, transportation and necessities, however, she said, “We barely scrape by and holidays and birthdays are always the hardest.”

She has a 4-year-old daughter Sophia and a 2-year-old daughter Mia, who is disabled.

Their father is a quadriplegic and he has been in a nursing home for the last 2½ years, according to a letter Amanda wrote to Valley Santa.

Amanda asked for Valley Santa’s help so that her two daughters have gifts this Christmas.


“I do my very best and make sure their needs are met but when it comes to the extra stuff like toys, it gets pretty tough,” she wrote. “I know that’s not the most important thing and I try to explain that but it’s not always easy explaining that to a young child especially when it comes to the holidays.”

Amanda said her two daughters are “blessings” in her life and she hopes they can be blessed this holiday as well.

“When it comes to the holidays, it would mean so much to me to have my girls to have something under the tree,” she wrote.

Everyone can help make this Christmas brighter for Sophia and Mia and children in need throughout Luzerne County by donating to Valley Santa.


Send a check or money order to The Valley Santa Fund Inc., P.O. Box 5276, Wilkes-Barre, PA 18711. Checks should be made payable to The Valley Santa Fund Inc. Visit valleysanta.org to donate via PayPal. All donations are tax deductible. Monetary donations also will be accepted at any M&T Bank branch in the Wyoming Valley. Because Santa has no workshop or warehouse space, no new or used toys can be accepted. Donors names will be published in The Citizens’ Voice and Standard-Speaker.


Call Help Line: 570-829-1341.


Write a letter in care of Valley Santa, P.O. Box 5268, Wilkes-Barre, PA 18711. Explain the need that exists in as much detail as possible. You must include your name, ages and genders of your children, your full address, zip code and telephone number. The letter must be co-signed by a clergy member or social worker and must include their name, address and telephone number for confirmation purposes. Requests will be considered for children 12 years of age and younger. Requests must be postmarked by Dec. 15. No telephone requests will be accepted.