The Latest: All attackers dead as Somali ministry siege ends
MOGADISHU, Somalia (AP) — The Latest on the attack on Somalia’s interior ministry (all times local):
Police say security forces have ended a siege on Somalia’s interior ministry, with all three attackers killed.
Capt. Mohamed Hussein says dozens of people have been rescued in the nearly two-hour operation that began with a suicide car bomber detonating at the ministry gate.
Police say at least nine people were killed in the attack, with more than 10 others wounded.
The Somalia-based al-Shabab extremist group has claimed responsibility. It often targets high-profile areas of Mogadishu.
Police say at least nine people are dead and more than 10 wounded in an ongoing extremist attack on Somalia’s interior ministry.
Col. Ahmed Mohamed says the death toll could rise as security forces continue to battle several gunmen holed up inside. A number of people, mostly government workers, are said to be trapped in the ministry on what had been a normal business day.
The al-Shabab extremist group, an arm of al-Qaida, has claimed responsibility for the attack in Mogadishu that police say began with a suicide car bombing at the gate of the ministry.
Police in Somalia’s capital say two explosions have occurred near the interior ministry as the al-Shabab extremist group claims responsibility for the ongoing attack in Mogadishu.
Gunfire can be heard in the area amid reports that gunmen are forcing their way into nearby state institutions.
Police Capt. Mohamed Hussein says the attack began Saturday morning when a suicide car bomber detonated at the gate of the interior ministry, which is close to the presidential palace.
Ambulance sirens echo across the area as soldiers open fire to disperse bystanders and motorists.
The Somalia-based al-Shabab often targets high-profile areas of the capital. It was blamed for the October truck bombing that killed more than 500 people in the deadliest attack in the country’s history.