AP NEWS

Gun owner gets reckless endangerment charge for not locking his gun in car

July 9, 2018 GMT

STAMFORD-A city gun owner who allegedly left his pistol in an unlocked car and had it stolen was arrested and charged with second-degree reckless endangerment.

Sgt. Kenneth Jarrett said that John Perez, 29, of Woodbridge Drive was charged with the misdemeanor on Friday. Perez called police to report that his semiautomatic pistol had been stolen from his car on parked on Woodbridge Drive on May 18.

After investigators determined that the vehicle that the gun was stored in was unlocked, an arrest warrant was granted for his arrest and Perez turned himself over to police on Friday. He was released on a promise to appear in court.

Capt. Richard Conklin said that Perez was very cooperative with investigators. He told police that the night before the gun was stolen, he carried his sleeping young daughter from the car and into his home with every intention of coming back out and retrieving his gun, which he left under his jacket on the front seat.

But Perez ended up going to sleep too and discovered the next morning that someone rifled through his car and took his gun.

“Mr. Perez had a responsibility to safeguard that firearm and the ramifications of this is we have a firearm on our streets in someones hands who shouldn’t have it,” Conklin said. Perez also turned over his permit to carry and that was sent to state police.

jnickerson@stamfordadvocate.com