AP NEWS

The Latest: Abused children ‘relieved’ by parents’ pleas

February 22, 2019
1 of 5
Louise Turpin wipes away her tears while talking to her attorney, Jeff Moore, in a courtroom Friday, Feb. 22, 2019, in Riverside, Calif. Turpin and her husband, David, who shackled some of their 13 children to beds and starved them pleaded guilty on Friday to torture and other abuse. (AP Photo/Jae C. Hong, Pool)
1 of 5
Louise Turpin wipes away her tears while talking to her attorney, Jeff Moore, in a courtroom Friday, Feb. 22, 2019, in Riverside, Calif. Turpin and her husband, David, who shackled some of their 13 children to beds and starved them pleaded guilty on Friday to torture and other abuse. (AP Photo/Jae C. Hong, Pool)

RIVERSIDE, Calif. (AP) — The Latest on the case of a couple charged with the torture and abuse of most of their 13 children (all times local):

11:20 a.m.

A lawyer for some of the children held captive and starved by a California couple says they are relieved after their parents pleaded guilty to torture and other abuse.

Attorney Jack Osborn represents seven adults among 13 children of David and Louise Turpin, who enter pleas Friday in Riverside County Superior Court.

Osborn says the adult children are glad there will not be trial.

He says they can now move forward with their lives without the stress a trial would have involved.

The attorney says the children have been living together, attending school, getting healthy and leading normal lives.

___

10:30 a.m.

A California prosecutor says the parents who shackled some of their 13 children to beds and starved them will spend up to life in prison.

David and Louise Turpin pleaded guilty Friday in Riverside County Superior Court to torture and other abuse in a case dubbed a “house of horrors.” The charges included abuse of their 12 oldest children.

Riverside County District Attorney Mike Hestrin says the couple will be sentenced April 19 to 25 years-to-life in prison.

Hestrin says the guilty pleas were important to protect the children from having to testify.

The children, who ranged in age from 2 to 29 at the time, were severely underweight and hadn’t bathed for months and the house reeked of human waste when the couple was arrested last year.

___

9:35 a.m.

A California couple who shackled some of their 13 children to beds and starved them have pleaded guilty to torture and other abuse.

David and Louise Turpin pleaded guilty Friday in Riverside County Superior Court in the case dubbed a “house of horrors.”

The couple was arrested in January 2018 when their 17-year-old daughter called 911 after escaping from the family’s home in the city of Perris, southeast of Los Angeles.

The children, who ranged in age from 2 to 29 at the time, were severely underweight and hadn’t bathed for months and the house reeked of human waste.

Investigators said some of the children had stunted growth and wasted muscles and described being beaten, starved and put in cages.

___

6:52 a.m.

A Southern California district attorney will address the case of a couple charged with the torture and abuse of most of their 13 children.

A Friday morning court hearing is set for lawyers to discuss preparations for a Sept. 3 trial for David and Louise Turpin. The Turpins have pleaded not guilty to dozens of felony counts — including torture, willful child cruelty and false imprisonment.

Riverside County District Attorney Mike Hestrin plans a press conference to follow the court proceedings. His office didn’t reveal what Hestrin plans to say.

The Turpins were arrested in January when a daughter escaped from the family’s Perris home and called 911.

Investigators said some of the children had stunted growth and wasted muscles and described being beaten, starved and put in cages.