Suspect Rearrested In Serial Murder Case
CAPE TOWN, South Africa (AP) _ Police investigating South Africa’s worst serial murder case on Monday rearrested a man first detained in April on suspicion of involvement in the killing of at least 21 boys since 1989.
Norman Afzal Simons was scheduled to appear in court Thursday in connection with the death of a 12-year-old boy whose body was unearthed in the Mitchell’s Plain district near Cape Town on Jan. 15, police said.
Police spokesman Col. Raymond Dowd said detectives found new evidence in the killing of Donovan Swartz, one of two boys found buried 50 yards apart.
Simons, in his 20s, was freed on bail of $285 after his April 14 arrest on suspicion of killing the boy found buried near Swartz.
Police in the predominantly mixed-race community of Mitchell’s Plain last year unearthed the bodies of boys who had been sodomized and strangled. Police allege Simons is linked to two of slayings, and say they believe most of the 21 killings were carried out by the same person.
Lawyers for Simons have said blood and genetic tests carried out on the suspect failed to match genetic material found at the graves.