Slain Teen-age Sisters Mourned; Man Arraigned in Their Deaths
FENTON, Mich. (AP) _ Not far from shallow trenches where their bodies were thrown, two slain teen-age sisters were mourned Monday as a parolee who admitted killing them was formally charged with murder.
Leslie Williams was silent before a judge. About 50 people crowded a courthouse parking lot for a glimpse of him. Some brought their children and bag lunches.
Williams confessed to killing Michelle Urbin, 16, and her 14-year-old sister, Melissa, authorities said. He also has admitted killing two other teen-agers and the rape of a 9-year-old girl since his parole in 1990, as well as having sex with some of the corpses, authorities said.
He had spent 17 years in prison, most recently a seven-year term for a 1983 kidnap and rape.
Friends and family pressed into a funeral for the sisters.
″I have no anger towards Williams. It’s for the system which released him,″ said Kathryn Urbin, their mother, after a gravesite ceremony.
Williams, 38, of Detroit, was denied bond on two murder charges and bond was set at $1 million on two kidnapping charges in the sisters’ slayings. A preliminary hearing is scheduled for June 10.
Outside court, others were angry over his parole.
″I just hope justice will work this time and they’ll keep him in (prison) for a long, long time,″ said Bill Clark, 58, of Howell.
He was arraigned previously in the deaths of Kami Villanueva, 18, and Cynthia Marie Jones, 15. Separate services for them were held Monday.
″If we’ve come seeking any answers, we won’t find them,″ Reverend John G. Park of Commerce United Methodist Church told mourners at a service for Villanueva. ″But it is hoped that that which was done well in her life will be continued by you.″
Williams was arrested May 24 after a separate kidnapping. A woman taken at gunpoint was found in the trunk of his car.
Williams’ former girlfriend called police after his arrest and showed a detective where Williams had dumped her cat after killing it last summer.
Police found Villanueva’s body buried nearby. Williams then led investigators over the next 24 hours to two other graves where the three other teen-agers were buried.
Autopsy results show Villanueva was choked to death, Jones was stabbed in the heart, and the Urbins were smothered, Oakland County Sheriff’s detective Carl Methany said.
Williams told investigators he also had sex with the victims’ bodies after their deaths, Methany said.
Williams also faces kidnapping and assault charges in the latest abduction and the rape of the 9-year-old. He also confessed to a number of other rapes since his last prison release, some which were not reported, police said.
Williams’ confessed killing spree while on parole prompted calls for a review of Michigan’s parole system and sentencing guidelines for rapists.
Gov. John Engler has said he supports efforts to expand the parole board from seven to nine members and make periodic reappointments. Engler also said legislators should consider a new mandatory life sentence for convicted rapists. First-degree criminal sexual conduct now carries up to life in prison.