Click to copy
Click to copy

The Latest: Boy is last church shooting victim to go home

January 11, 2018

SAN ANTONIO (AP) — The Latest on the hospital discharge of a 6-year-old boy, the last victim from the Nov. 5 church massacre (all times local):

4 p.m.

A firetruck has taken a 6-year-old boy home after he became the last victim of a South Texas church massacre to be discharged from a hospital.

Ryland Ward rode in the firetruck from University Medical Center in San Antonio 30 miles (48 kilometers) to his home in Sutherland Springs, passing by the scene of the Nov. 5 shooting that left more than two dozen worshippers at the First Baptist Church dead and about 20 others wounded. The attacker, Devin Patrick Kelley, died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Patrol cars and other firetrucks formed a procession that escorted Ward back to the community of about 420 residents. Motorists pulled to the side of the road into town, and some stepped from their vehicles and waved at the child.

The truck then carried the child past a sheriff’s barricade to his house, which was kept off-limits to the public.


3 p.m.

A 6-year-old boy who was shot several times and was the last victim still hospitalized following the Nov. 5 church massacre in South Texas went home riding in a firetruck.

Officials with University Health System in San Antonio say Ryland Ward left the hospital Thursday afternoon.

A gunman opened fire at First Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs, 30 miles (48 kilometers) southeast of San Antonio, during a Sunday service.

More than two dozen worshippers were killed and about 20 others, including Ryland, were wounded. The attacker, Devin Patrick Kelley, died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

UHS officials Thursday declined to provide details on Ryland’s current medical condition.

Other victims hospitalized at Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio or Connally Memorial Medical Center in Floresville were previously discharged.

All contents © copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.