Related topics

Tom Petty’s accidental drug overdose

January 20, 2018 GMT

Tom Petty died of an accidental drug overdose.

The ‘I Won’t Back Down’ hitmaker passed away back in October at the age of 66 and the coroner has now ruled that the singer died after an “over use of medication”.

The family said in a statement, posted to Tom’s official website: “Unfortunately, Tom’s body suffered from many serious ailments including emphysema, knee problems and most significantly a fractured hip. Despite this painful injury he insisted on keeping his commitment to his fans and he toured for 53 dates with a fractured hip and, as he did, it worsened to a more serious injury.

“On the day he died he was informed his hip had graduated to a full on break and it is our feeling that the pain was simply unbearable and was the cause for his over use of medication.”

At the time of his tragic passing, Tom’s daughter wrote a sweet tribute to her late father, hailing him as an “American icon”.

She shared: “One week ago today I was watching my dad play. We showed up rushed to our seats. I got stoned had a beer the lights went dark. Sat watching realising I grew up on these songs, everyone grew up on these songs.

“This is real American Art made from the roots of real people who deeply love life. My father loves music more than anything and always put music first. it’s going to be healing to know I will never go a day without hearing his music.

“I love his class honesty and how strange and funny he is. Tom Petty is an American Icon because his heart has always put human rights first. We are one. I love you dad your songs are dreams manifested (sic)”