Timeline of the events following the arrest of Freddie Gray

May 23, 2016 GMT

BALTIMORE (AP) — The events following the April 12, 2015, arrest of Freddie Gray, a 25-year-old black man who was injured in the custody of the Baltimore Police Department and died a week later. Six officers involved in the arrest were charged.

April 12 — Freddie Gray is arrested after police make eye contact with him and another man, and the pair run. Officers put Gray in a transport van. He says several times that he needs medical care during the approximately 44-minute ride to a police district station. An ambulance takes him to a hospital in critical condition.

April 19 — Gray dies at a hospital.


April 21 — The U.S. Department of Justice opens a civil rights investigation into Gray’s death.

April 25 — A peaceful march ends downtown, then some people smash police car windows and storefronts. Fans at a Baltimore Orioles-Boston Red Sox baseball game are told to stay inside Oriole Park at Camden Yards temporarily because of public safety concerns.

April 27 — Gray’s family, religious and political leaders attend his funeral. In the afternoon, rioting, looting and arson break out and continue through the night. More than 200 people are arrested. The Maryland National Guard is called up, the first time for a civil disturbance in the state since 1968. A nightly curfew is imposed.

April 29 — The Orioles play the Chicago White Sox in a stadium without fans after officials close the game to the public.

May 1 — Baltimore State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby announces charges against the officers, saying “no one is above the law.”

May 8 — U.S. Attorney General Loretta Lynch announces a civil rights investigation of the Baltimore police force as a whole, looking for patterns of excessive force and improper stops and searches.

Sept. 8 — Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake announces a tentative $6.4 million settlement between Gray’s parents and the city of Baltimore.

Dec. 16 — A mistrial is declared in Officer William Porter’s case after the jury can’t reach a unanimous decision after three days of deliberations.

March 8 — The Court of Appeals rules that Porter must testify against his colleagues while he awaits retrial.

May 23 __ Baltimore Police Officer Edward Nero is acquitted of assault and other charges in connection to Gray’s arrest.