15-year-old charged with Bridgeport triple shooting
BRIDGEPORT — City detectives re-arrested the 15-year-old they say is responsible for the shooting of three people on Tuesday night.
The teen was arrested on a warrant and charged with three counts of first-degree assault and weapons offenses, Capt. Brian Fitzgerald said in a statement Friday. Due to his age, the suspect’s name was not provided.
Six shots were fired Tuesday in the area of 915 North Ave., the location of a gas station and convenience store. Three people were hit by gunfire, Fitzgerald said, and treated at St. Vincent’s Medical Center for non-life-threatening injuries.
Police arrested the 15-year-old that night, but he was released into the custody of his parents. In circumstances like this, Perez said earlier this week, police would work with the judge to ensure the juvenile was kept in custody because of the seriousness of the crime. But that didn’t happen with Tuesday’s assailant and Perez was unsure why.
The 15-year-old, police said, is the brother of one of four people arrested in connection with the murder of 12-year-old Clinton Howell. But, Capt. Brian Fitzgerald said, the two shootings are unrelated.
Howell was killed Dec. 18 when he was struck by a bullet during a drive-by shooting in front of his Willow Street home. Police repeatedly said he was not the intended target and was not connected to an ongoing dispute between the assailants and the intended victim, his cousin.
Police have charged 18-year-old Tajay Chambers, 16-year-old Alexander Bolanos and a 14-year-old and a 12-year-old in connection with Howell’s homicide.
Being 18, Chambers will face and the charges as an adult. A judge ordered Bolanos to be tried as an adult for his role in the killing. The cases for the other two are being processed in state juvenile court.