Parkside Drive fire ruled accident; damage at $12K

May 22, 2019 GMT

DeKALB – Investigators have detemined that a Saturday night fire in a unit at the Parkside Drive Apartments on Sycamore Road was started accidentally, DeKalb Fire Chief Jeff McMaster said.

McMaster said that the investigation into the fire found it was started by careless smoking, causing $12,000 in damage to an apartment in the complex at 1329 Sycamore Road, overlooking Hopkins Park. McMaster said the fire was confined to the living room of that unit, and was caused by the occupant not putting out a cigarette.

First responders were called to the apartments at 11:35 p.m. Saturday to fight the fire, which caused smoke damage throughout the building, but no heat or water damage to any units other than the one where the fire started. That apartment has been deemed uninhabitable.


The fire led to the building being evacuated and left one person injured, DeKalb fire officials said.

Firefighters from seven area departments responded to the call, and it took about 20 minutes for firefighters to get the fire under control.

It was almost two hours before all emergency personnel left the scene, according to the release. One person was taken to Northwestern Medicine Kishwaukee Hospital with injuries that were not believed to be life-threatening.

Firefighters from Burlington, Cortland, Genoa-Kingston, Malta, Maple Park, Shabbona and Sycamore fire departments responded to the call, along with DeKalb and Northern Illinois University police and workers from ComEd, Nicor Gas, and the American Red Cross.