Related topics

Five Killed in Michigan Blaze

October 7, 2002

%mlink(STRY:; PHOTO:; AUDIO:%)

MOUNT MORRIS TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) _ A fire broke out at a rooming house for the elderly before dawn Monday, killing five people and critically injuring one.

Mount Township Fire Chief Benny Zappa said it appears that the fire started in a bedroom. He said one man was pulled out alive from the building, which is believed to have housed about 12 people.

The one-story ranch house, about 70 miles north of Detroit, was consumed in about 30 minutes.

It was a room and board facility that was not licensed or inspected by the state, said Maura Campbell, spokeswoman for state Department of Consumer and Industry Services.

``There are a lot of unlicensed homes out there,″ she said. ``There are facilities all around the state. It doesn’t fall under the scope of what we license.″

The woman who owned the home had an adult foster care license in the past but does not have one now, Campbell said.

The state fire marshal’s office was contacted, and fire department officials and police were awaiting the arrival of a specially trained dog used in fire investigations.