DOHA, Qatar (AP) — Usain Bolt is in the rearview mirror, replaced by — what else? — an unfolding doping saga in track and field.
The title of "World's Fastest Man" now that Bolt is on the...
Page out as US Olympic sailing boss 10 months before Tokyo
SAN DIEGO (AP) — Two-time gold medalist Malcolm Page is out as chief of Olympic sailing for the U.S. national team less than a year before the Tokyo Games.
Federer, McEnroe push for Laver Cup’s place in team tennis
GENEVA (AP) — Team events are having quite the resurgence on the men's tennis circuit, with three different competitions scheduled in the next four months. What's still unclear, though, is whether...
Roger Federer to decide soon on Tokyo Olympic plans
GENEVA (AP) — Roger Federer plans to decide "in the next month or so" whether he will play at next year's Tokyo Olympics.
Federer said Tuesday his 2020 schedule is set through Wimbledon,...
Gasol completes historic double, Spain wins World Cup
BEIJING (AP) — Marc Gasol looked to the sky as confetti fell, some sticking to his massive shoulders, and then cradled and kissed the giant golden chalice that goes to the World Cup...
France beats Australia 67-59 for bronze medal at World Cup
BEIJING (AP) — France defeated Australia 67-59 on Sunday to take the third-place game in the World Cup. It was France's second straight bronze medal in the event and matches its best...
Mayor of town in north Japan bemoans lack of Olympic funds
TOKYO (AP) — The mayor of a town in northeastern Japan that will host Olympic soccer games says his city has received no funding from the central government that has promised to use the 2020 Tokyo...
Popovich defends team, US beats Poland for 7th at World Cup
BEIJING (AP) — Their final game at the World Cup had been over for several minutes, and every member of the U.S. team and coaching staff were still lingering together on the court.
- Asian Games end and Japan, China turn eyes to Tokyo Olympics
- Japan women improve to win Asian Games rugby goldSeptember 1, 2018
- Japan women win soccer, field hockey gold at Asian Games
- Son's last shot for military exemption at Asian Games
- Mixed relay makes Asian Games debut; China back atop medals
- Combined Koreas crew wins historic medal at Asian Games
- Inoue wins Asian Games marathon gold medal in sprint finish
- 6th gold gives Ikee a record 8th medal at Asian Games
- Taiwan _ by whatever name _ still winning at Asian Games
- Japanese teenager Ikee wins 5th gold medal at Asian Games
- Silver lining for young and old athletes at Asian Games
- Nationality confusion forces Zabelinskaya out of Asian Games
- Sun rises, flags fall on opening night of swimming finals
- Japan: Asian Games a proving ground for 2020 Tokyo Olympics
- Asian Games: Something for everybody _ even contract bridge
- With Tokyo 2020 looming, Japan aims high at Asian Games
- Young India shooter Anish Bhanwala targets gold at Asiad
- Son Heung-min arrives in Indonesia for Asian GamesAugust 13, 2018
- As Asian Games host, Indonesia has more at stake than sport
- Koreas extend conciliatory steps to Asian Games
- Women's volleyball captain Zhu leads China into Asian Games
- Silver lining for young and old athletes at Asian GamesAugust 23, 2018
USA Basketball thinking ahead after disappointing World Cup
DONGGUAN, China (AP) — USA Basketball managing director Jerry Colangelo said Thursday that when the time comes to start assembling the 2020 Tokyo Olympics roster, he won't forget those who backed...
SKorea asks IOC to ban ‘rising sun’ flag at Tokyo Olympics
SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — South Korea has formally asked the International Olympic Committee to ban the Japanese "rising sun" flag at next year's Tokyo Games, calling it a symbol of Japan's brutal...
A shocker: US beaten by France 89-79 in World Cup quarters
DONGGUAN, China (AP) — No gold. No medal. No more winning streak.
The U.S. reign atop international basketball has ended — this time, thwarted by France at the World Cup.
- Ledecky to tackle all 4 distances in Tokyo _ 200 to 1,500
- US Olympian Katie Ledecky gives swim tips to Tokyo students
- Pan Pacs: Ledecky, Dressel get wins; Ikee pleases home fans
- Cate Campbell atones for failure in Rio de Janeiro Olympics
- Ruck wins 200 at Pan Pacific, Ledecky gets 3rd
- Forgetting about world record brings Peaty closer to it
- Teenage swimmer Kolesnikov adds gold, silver to medal haul
- Peaty shaves 0.13 off of own 100m breaststroke world record
- Peaty world record corrected to 57.10 after timing error
- Day after Peaty record, Britain adds 2 more swimming golds
- 4 golds from 4 events: Peaty displays breaststroke dominance
- Michael Andrew caps breakout US Nationals with 50 free win
- Missy Franklin misses out at US Nationals
- Ledecky cruises to easy win in 800 free at US Nationals
- US swim nationals set to go on without banned Lochte
- Tokyo 2020: Will Ryan Lochte and Sue Bird be there?
- Ryan Lochte's future? Even he isn't sure what's next
- Japanese swimmer Junya Koga denies doping chargesMay 23, 2018
Japan’s leader taps new Cabinet ministers to freshen image
TOKYO (AP) — Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe shuffled his Cabinet on Wednesday, adding two women and the son of a former leader to freshen his image but maintaining continuity on U.S.-oriented...
- The Spokesman-ReviewFormer Gonzaga star Rui Hachimura taking break from FIBA World CupSeptember 7, 2019
- The Times-TribuneSharkey, Team USA Set To Start Pan Am PlayJuly 29, 2019
- Wisconsin State JournalLauren Carlini, Dana Rettke helping chart course for Olympic volleyballJuly 14, 2019
- WRAL-TVThe Latest: Milan-Cortina wins bid by 47-34 votesJune 24, 2019
- Star TribuneX Games organizers already looking to 2019July 23, 2018
Barca crush future Madrid team in preview of women’s clasico
BARCELONA, Spain (AP) — Spain has seen its first preview of what will become the women's version of the Barcelona vs. Real Madrid clasico.
Madrid announced in June it reached an agreement to...
Barros, Armanto headline Vans Park Series tour championships
Vans' decades-long involvement in skateboarding continues this weekend when Brazilian Pedro Barros, Californian Lizzie Armanto and dozens more top athletes compete in the Vans Park Series Pro Tour...
Finally, an easy one: US rolls by Japan 98-45 at World Cup
SHANGHAI (AP) — The U.S. finally got to enjoy an easy night at the World Cup.
There might not be many more of those.
Jaylen Brown scored 20 points, Kemba Walker added 15 and the U.S....
South Korea calls for ban of ‘rising sun’ flag at 2020 Games
TOKYO (AP) — South Korean Olympic officials have called on Japan to ban its "rising sun" flag at the 2020 Tokyo Games after claiming it represents a "militaristic and imperial past."
China fails to advance at home WCup after loss to Venezuela
BEIJING (AP) — China's basketball team went 0-10 in the last two Olympics in Rio de Janeiro and London. But it was supposed to be a different story in this World Cup, with the host nation playing...
- US beats Japan 7-6 in final of softball world championship
- US beats Japan 4-3 to reach final of softball worlds
- US beats Australia 3-1 at women's softball worldsAugust 10, 2018
- US beats Puerto Rico 8-1 at women's softball worldsAugust 8, 2018
- US overpowers South Africa 7-0 at women's softball worldsAugust 7, 2018
- US beats Philippines 12-0 at softball world championshipsAugust 6, 2018
- United States beats Netherlands 11-0 at softball worldsAugust 5, 2018
- US beats Taiwan 7-0 at women's softball worldsAugust 4, 2018
- Abbott solid as USA beats Mexico 5-2 at softball worldsAugust 3, 2018
Team McCoco acing US Open doubles, but not music history
NEW YORK (AP) — Coco Gauff and Caty McNally have aced doubles tennis together.
Like many teenagers, they are still learning their history.
Mihailovic to train with US before Olympic soccer qualifying
CHICAGO (AP) — Chicago Fire midfielder Djordje Mihailovic is among 24 players invited to the U.S. under-23 training camp leading to Olympic qualifying. Mihailovic played for the U.S. senior team...
Hello, World Cup: A record field set for FIBA’s main event
SHANGHAI (AP) — The biggest basketball World Cup is about to begin.
Many of the world's top players — and a couple of the world's top national teams — are not in China for the FIBA World...
Tokyo Olympics undecided on Placido Domingo appearance
TOKYO (AP) — The Tokyo Olympics organizing committee has not decided what it plans to do about the appearance of Placido Domingo at a 2020 Games event and is looking into allegations the opera...
IOC details boxing qualifying events for Tokyo Olympics
LAUSANNE, Switzerland (AP) — The IOC has detailed a "fair and transparent pathway to the Olympic Games" for male and female boxers trying to qualify for Tokyo.
US Open 28th seed Suárez Navarro fined $40K after quitting
NEW YORK (AP) — In the latest example of a player fined thousands of dollars at a Grand Slam tournament for what tennis officials deem a lack of effort, 28th-seeded Carla Suárez Navarro of Spain...
Run faster, jump higher: Equestrian event showcases US team
THE PLAINS, Va. (AP) — Gallop, jump, gallop, repeat.
Just after Boyd Martin, Lynn Symansky and Doug Payne won gold at the Pan American Games and qualified the U.S. eventing team for the 2020...
Russia coach banned for gesture at Olympic win over S. Korea
LAUSANNE, Switzerland (AP) — The International Volleyball Federation says it imposed a three-game ban on a Russia women's team coach for an offensive gesture he made after qualifying for the...
Olympic champion: Coleman’s missed tests are an eye-opener
PARIS (AP) — Olympic sprint champion Elaine Thompson says American star Christian Coleman's case of missed doping tests can teach athletes to be more responsible.
Chinese swimmer Sun granted public trial for doping hearing
GENEVA (AP) — Chinese swimmer Sun Yang will get the rare public trial he asked for to answer an appeal by the World Anti-Doping Agency that could lead to his ban from the 2020 Olympics.
Shot putter David Storl out of worlds with back injury
DARMSTADT, Germany (AP) — Two-time world shot put champion David Storl says he will miss the track world championships with a back injury.
The German won the world title in 2011 and 2013 and...
Can Tokyo’s efficient rail system handle Olympic strain?
TOKYO (AP) — First, Tokyo Olympic fans will have to find scarce tickets and pay the price. Then there's the quandary of landing a hotel room with rates that are being inflated due to unprecedented...
Tokyo’s summer heat forces triathlon test to be shortened
TOKYO (AP) — Tokyo's summer heat has forced an Olympic women's triathlon qualifying event to be shortened because of high temperatures that are likely to impact next year's games.
US men’s volleyball team secures bid to 2020 Tokyo Olympics
ROTTERDAM, Netherlands (AP) — The U.S. men's volleyball team secured a bid to the 2020 Tokyo Olympics on Sunday, beating the Dutch host 25-18, 25-20, 17-25, 25-21 to go unbeaten in the round-robin...
Mikulak cruises to 6th national title in men’s gymnastics
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — Samuel Mikulak doesn't show off the stash of medals he's earned from the U.S. men's gymnastics championships through the years. They sit in relatively anonymity in the...
Girardi to manage Team USA at Olympic baseball qualifier
DURHAM, N.C. (AP) — Four-time World Series champion Joe Girardi will manage Team USA at an Olympic qualifying tournament in November, hoping to guide the squad to a spot at the 2002 Summer Games...
LIMA, Peru (AP) — Five-time Olympic swimming gold medalist Nathan Adrian says that his success won't be on his mind at the end of his life.
Maybe that would have been him some years ago. But...
10 things to know about the FIBA World Cup
LAS VEGAS (AP) — USA Basketball opened training camp Monday for the FIBA World Cup, which starts Aug. 31 in China. Here are 10 things to know about the tournament and the Americans' quest for an...
Peruvian surfers win gold at home Pan Am Games
LIMA, Peru (AP) — Peru dominated surfing at the Pan American Games on Sunday when Lucca Mesinas and Daniella Rosas won their shortboard finals and a potential ticket to the Tokyo 2020...
US women’s volleyball team secures Tokyo Olympics bid
BOSSIER CITY, La. (AP) — The U.S. women's volleyball team secured its berth to the 2020 Tokyo Olympics on Sunday, beating Argentina in straight sets Sunday at a Tokyo Women's Volleyball...
Argentina’s surfers hoping to make waves at Olympics
LIMA, Peru (AP) — On a Peruvian beach, Argentina's passionate sports fans have been waving the country's sky-blue and white flag this week for a group of athletes looking to make a splash at next...
TOKYO (AP) — Emperor Naruhito delivered his first opening speech to Japan's Diet on Thursday after recent elections and a renovation at the upper house to improve its accessibility for two new...
US boxing captain Fuchs fights back after bout with OCD
LIMA, Peru (AP) — Ask U.S. boxing team captain Virginia Fuchs about her toughest fight and she'll tell you it was far from a ring.
She felt the knockout in her mind and it was a long count....