The Latest: 2020 Minnesota Fringe Festival canceled
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The Latest on the coronavirus outbreak in Minnesota (all times local):
Add the 2020 Minnesota Fringe Festival to the list of events canceled by the coronavirus.
Organizers announced Friday that the 27th annual Fringe scheduled over 11 days in August has been scrapped. The performing arts festival usually draws 40,000 to 50,000 people to more than 100 shows in Minneapolis and St. Paul.
Executive director Dawn Bentley and her staff will be furloughed May 1. Bentley told the Star Tribune the Fringe is “in survival mode.” She said the Fringe is refunding more than $40,000 in deposits to this year’s producers and artists and is losing about $160,000 in net income.
The organization is asking for the public’s help as it tries to raise $100,000 so it can return in the future.
The Fringe had already signed up more than 100 companies for shows.
Another prominent health care provider is furloughing 2,600 employees as the coronavirus cuts into revenue.
HealthPartners, the second-largest nonprofit group in the state, operates seven hospitals, dozens of clinics and a health insurance business.
COVID-19 has eliminated elective surgeries and created some financial challenges for health care groups.
Earlier this month Minnesota’s largest nonprofit group, the Mayo Clinic, announced pay cuts for more than 20,000 workers.
HealthPartners employs about 26,000 people with revenue of $7.2 billion in 2019, the Star Tribune reported.
The Minnesota Hospital Association said hospitals across the state are projecting a financial hit of $2.9 billion over the next 90 days due to COVID-19.