Man accused of killing Italian tourist mistakenly released

May 15, 2018
FILE - This file photo provided by the Little Rock Police Department shows Andre Jackson. Arkansas authorities are searching for Jackson, accused of killing an Italian tourist in July, after he was mistakenly released from prison March 16, 2018, after completing a sentence for a separate crime. The Arkansas Department of Correction says law enforcement didn't file a detainer prohibiting Jackson's release. (Little Rock Police Department via AP, File)

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) — Arkansas authorities are searching for the man accused of killing an Italian tourist after he was mistakenly released from prison two months ago.

A judge issued a new arrest warrant Friday for Andre Jackson, who was released from prison in March after completing a sentence for a separate crime, KATV-TV reported . He’s charged with capital murder and aggravated robbery in the death of Carlo Marigliano, who was found fatally shot in Little Rock in July.

Marigliano’s cousin said prosecutors alerted his family of the mistake on Friday, and they feel like they have to relive the death all over again.

“I’m amazed something like this would happen,” said Gianni Sulmonte, who lives in Maryland. “If you were charged this way, you may not be able to bond out. But this guy, he just got woken up first thing in the morning and probably walked right out wondering, ‘What the heck just happened to me?’”

Marigliano was traveling with friends in the U.S. last year before leaving the group to visit other areas on his way to Arizona, according to his family. He was killed near an apartment complex in Little Rock, according to police.

Arkansas Department of Correction spokesman Solomon Graves said the department checked for other convictions or warrants, but nothing turned up before Jackson was released from prison on March 16.

Pulaski County sheriff’s officials said there should have been a detainer on Jackson, and it’s unclear where in the process mistakes were made.

Jackson was due in court on Monday for a hearing on a mental health evaluation that was never completed. Jackson was ordered to undergo a forensic evaluation in January, “however he failed to show for his scheduled appointment,” according to an April 11 letter from the Arkansas State Hospital.


Information from: KATV-TV, http://www.katv.com/

All contents © copyright 2019 The Associated Press.All rights reserved.