Wingos, English Rose Garden damaged in Georgetown fire
Two Georgetown storefronts were badly burned in a two-alarm fire Tuesday that took 80 firefighters to get under control.
The English Rose Garden and popular Georgetown eatery Wingos, which share the same building, were both caught in the 2-alarm fire at the intersection of O Street and Wisconsin Ave. NW.
“The fire was determined to be accidental and it started in the kitchen of Wingos,” D.C. Fire and EMS chief spokesperson Vito Maggiolo told The Washington Times Tuesday evening.
Fire rescue services were dispatched shortly before 11 a.m., Mr. Maggiolo said, and deployed 80 firefighters using 20 pieces of equipment to battle the flames for more than hour to get it under the control.
Three firefighters were hospitalized with minor injuries before the fire was contained later in the afternoon. They are now reportedly in good condition.
“The building had undergone extensive renovation over the years, typical of many aging commercial structures in this neighborhood. As a result, the flames spread through concealed spaces and voids, and into three false ceilings, making the fire difficult to reach,” wrote DC Fire and EMS in a statement on social media.
As firefighters opened up the the interior of the building, more flames spread to the store next door, The English Rose Garden. Three firefighters were hospitalized with minor injuries before the fire was contained.
“It’s a huge loss for Georgetown students looking for something cheap and delicious to eat,” Stephen Tranchina, 22, who graduated from the university with a B.A. in psychology this spring, wrote in a social media message to The Times.
“Wingos was a place that represented some of my formative moments at Georgetown,“Miller Bartosz, 21, who also graduated from Georgetown this spring with a B.A. in history, told The Times.“I made friends there, recovered from hangovers there, and just genuinely always had a grand old time.”
By Tuesday evening, Mr. Maggiolo said the damage to the two storefronts was “considerable.”
“The food was a delight and so are the memories definitely tough to see it go. God bless them and their Sriracha wings,” wrote Mr. Bartosz.