Related topics

Witnesses Who Testified for O.J. Simpson’s Defense

September 9, 1995 GMT

Witnesses for O.J. Simpson’s defense and summary of their testimony:

ARNELLE SIMPSON: Simpson’s 26-year-old daughter; said she was born ``the same day my dad won the Heisman Trophy″; said he was distraught, confused, and out of control a day after the June 12, 1994, murders; said she never saw him wear dark blue or black sweat suit; said she didn’t see any blood on foyer or driveway at his home; said he couldn’t play tennis because of arthritis; said former Simpson friend and prosecution witness Ron Shipp was at bar in Simpson house holding beer can each time she saw him on evening of June 13, 1994.


CARMELITA SIMPSON-DURIO: Simpson’s sister; said Shipp was drinking beer and was ``high″; said Shipp visited Simpson in his bedroom night after murders, but he was only there a few minutes and was never alone with him.

EUNICE SIMPSON: Simpson’s mother; said her son never liked name Orenthal so she called him O.J.; worked in psychiatric ward at San Francisco General Hospital for nearly 38 years; said she tried to visit Simpson, wife and children every three months because she wanted the children to know her; said Simpson was born with rickets because she nursed older son while carrying Simpson; said Simpson looked shocked when she first saw him on June 13, 1994; said Shipp was sitting at bar with can in his hand and appeared to be spaced.

CAROL CONNORS: songwriter; said she saw Simpson and Paula Barbieri at hospital fund-raising dinner day before murders and he graciously agreed to pose for photo; said she saw a very ``exquisite, romantic moment″ between Simpson and Barbieri.

MARY COLLINS: interior designer; said she designed three of his offices; said she met with him and Barbieri on June 6 to discuss redecorating his mansion.

MATTIE SHIRLEY SIMPSON BAKER: Simpson’s older sister; said she and her husband spent night of June 13, 1994, in her brother’s room; said Shipp visited the room a few minutes but wasn’t alone with Simpson.

JACK McKAY: chief financial officer for American Psychological Association; played golf with Simpson on June 8, 1994; said Simpson walked with slight limp; said Simpson was friendly, willing to shake hands, sign autographs and have pictures taken.

DANNY MANDEL: works at Sony Pictures in television finance; went on blind date with Ellen Aaronson at Mezzaluna restaurant night of murders; said they left restaurant at 10:15 p.m.; said he didn’t see anything unusual and heard no barking dogs when he walked by Nicole Brown Simpson’s condo about 10:25 p.m.

ELLEN AARONSON: Toy company production executive; has lived in Brentwood for 3 1/2 years; said she saw no bodies or blood around Ms. Simpson’s condo and didn’t hear barking dogs; said she determined times of events that night by calling restaurant, questioning roommates, talking to Mandel; acknowledged she initially told police she went by Ms. Simpson’s condo at 11 p.m., but then alerted police to her error.

FRANCESCA HARMAN: hotel convention service manager; left party in Ms. Simpson’s neighborhood at 10:15 p.m.; turned onto Bundy at 10:20 p.m. and saw nothing or heard nothing amiss when she drove by Ms. Simpson’s condo; said she knew time because she checked her car’s clock.

DENISE PILNAK: distance runner; lives in 900 block of Bundy Drive; said she was stickler for time and showed jurors two watches on her arm _ one a runner’s watch; said friend left her home at 10:21 p.m. and neighborhood was absolutely still; said she heard dog start barking at 10:35 p.m. and it continued for about 45 minutes; acknowledged she didn’t write down her private diary until January 1995; said her recall of events was accurate except when she talked to police and reporters right after the killings because she was in shock.

JUDY TELANDER: Pilnak friend; said Pilnak asked her to leave at 10:18 p.m.; said Pilnak walked her to car at 10:21 p.m.; said she drove past Ms. Simpson’s condo about 10:25 p.m.; said she heard no dogs or sounds of a fight.

ROBERT HEIDSTRA: lives near murder scene; walked dog at 10:15 p.m. night of murders; heard dog barking ``like crazy″ near Ms. Simpson’s condo at 10:35 p.m., then heard two men shouting; first man said, ``Hey! Hey! Hey!″ and second responded but Heidstra couldn’t hear what was said; Heidstra then heard metal gate slam; didn’t see anyone as he went home; said he saw Jeep-type car _ perhaps Blazer or Bronco _ speeding down street, away from Ms. Simpson’s home just after 10:40 p.m. the night she and Ronald Goldman were killed; said he never told an acquaintance that second voice he heard was an older man who sounded black; denied he ever said one of the voices belonged to Simpson; said any talk of making money off his testimony was a joke.

WAYNE STANFIELD: American Airlines pilot; flew Los Angeles to Chicago; said he went to see Simpson three hours into flight; found Simpson ``pensive, lost in thought″ and staring out window; asked if he could talk to him and Simpson stood to shake hands and say yes; said he asked Simpson to sign personal flight log; said Simpson appeared relaxed and responded to questions in an alert fashion; said handshake was firm and he saw nothing wrong with Simpson physically.

MICHAEL NORRIS: courier employee; said he had just dropped off packages at airport when Simpson got out of limousine; said he and friend walked over and said hello; said friend asked for autograph; said he saw Simpson take what looked like ticket out of bag in back of limo; said Simpson didn’t appear rushed or preoccupied.

MICHAEL GLADDEN: Norris’ friend; said he asked Simpson for autograph and showed signature to jurors; said Simpson appeared calm; didn’t notice anything on Simpson’s hands.

HOWARD L. BINGHAM: personal photographer for Muhammad Ali; passenger on Chicago flight; spoke briefly with Simpson before takeoff; characterized Simpson as seeming his normal self.

STEPHEN VALERIE: UCLA student; boarded plane just ahead of Simpson; seated himself to observe Simpson; said Simpson was dressed neatly, smiled politely several times and read document; noted that Simpson wasn’t sweaty and specifically looked for sweat because Simpson boarded last and he thought of Hertz commercials depicting him running through airports; didn’t see any cuts on Simpson’s hands while looking for NFL championship ring.

JIM MERRILL: Hertz employee; greeted Simpson at Chicago airport; said Simpson carried garment and duffel bag; described Simpson as cordial, happy while being approached for autographs as he waited for golf bag at carousel; said Simpson left golf bag in car trunk while checking into hotel; didn’t see any cut on Simpson’s left middle finger at airport pickup; said a few hours later Simpson was frantic, desperate and then crying during three calls in nine-minute span in which he told Merrill he had to return to airport; couldn’t find Simpson at hotel and went to airport to return his golf clubs; sent clubs to Los Angeles on subsequent flight.

RAYMOND KILDUFF: Hertz division vice president; saw Simpson outside Chicago hotel; said Simpson appeared upset and accepted ride to the airport; testified Simpson moaned during trip; noted that Simpson’s left hand had a loose bloody bandage; helped Simpson with luggage, including black duffel bag that was mostly empty.

MARK PARTRIDGE: Chicago trademark attorney; sat next to Simpson on flight to Los Angeles; characterized Simpson as upset, agitated, sighing heavily; said Simpson made numerous telephone calls; described Simpson’s behavior as sincere; said he later wrote down eight pages of observations.

DR. ROBERT HUIZENGA: Beverly Hills internist; formerly Los Angeles Raiders team physician; called by defense to describe Simpson’s condition during examination three days after killings; described limp and numerous old football injuries, including very bad left knee, which would limit movement; said cuts on fingers of left hand appeared to be from glass but acknowledged they could have been caused by knife; found indications of rheumatoid arthritis; found no problems with Simpson’s grip and concluded he could hold knife; checked nose for signs of cocaine but found nothing abnormal; said Simpson’s physique looked like Tarzan’s but was deceptive; said Simpson was getting very little sleep because of stress; said Simpson had severe physical limitations but none that would make him incapable of murdering ex-wife and Goldman; described almost 10 cuts and abrasions he saw on Simpson’s left hand three days after murders; said Simpson denied he had rheumatoid arthritis because he didn’t want to see himself as an arthritic patient; after watching an exercise video featuring Simpson, said Simpson was showing signs of same injuries he saw in initial examination; said Simpson had an altered cadence in the video but limp was more pronounced June 15.