Day in History: Plainview loses another soldier
1993 – 25 years ago
• Two sons of Dr. and Mrs. Lloyd Wells of Rochester, were recognized for scholastic honors during Awards Day at Shattuck St. Marys School in Faribault.
• More than 360 elementary and junior high students from northeast Iowa and southeast Minnesota are learning about the earth’s ecological systems this week as Luther College hosts the Environmental College for Young Leaders.
1968 – 50 years ago
• The last two railroads serving Rochester – the Chicago and North Western – the Chicago Great Western will merge this week.
• Weis Builders of Rochester was low bidder with a $249,980 proposal for extensive renovation of the surgical area and other improvements to the Rochester State Hospital administration building.
• Eugene Wulf of Kasson received his God and Country special Boy Scout Award at the First United Methodist Church after three years of study of the Bible.
1943 – 75 years ago
• The peas in Rochester’s Victory gardens are doing so well that gardeners are urged to prepare to use or preserve them. No food should be wasted in these war times.
• Preparations are being made this week at the Hawthorne school playground for numerous tournaments in checkers, dominoes and horseshoes. The girls will have a doll and doll buggy parade.
1918 – 100 years ago
• Plainview has received notice that the community has lost another son to World War I. Private William Lorenzo Allen, 2nd Division, 2nd Military Police, was killed in action in France. (Allen is buried at Plot A, Row 8, Grave 45, Aisne-Marne American Cemetery, Belleau, France.)
• Rochester surgeons Dr. W.J. Mayo and Dr. C.H. Mayo have been commissioned colonels in the medical corps, National Army.
From news services
Ten years ago: Zimbabwe’s longtime ruler Robert Mugabe was sworn in as president for a sixth term after a widely discredited runoff in which he was the only candidate. Two weeks away from her 20th birthday, Inbee Park became the youngest winner of the U.S. Women’s Open by closing with a 2-under 71 at Interlachen in Edina, Minnesota. Spain won the European Championship 1-0 over Germany for its first major title in 44 years.
Five years ago: Paying tribute to his personal hero, President Barack Obama met privately in Johannesburg, South Africa, with Nelson Mandela’s family as the world anxiously awaited news on the condition of the hospitalized 94-year-old anti-apartheid leader. (Mandela was discharged from the hospital on September 1, 2013; he died the following December.)
One year ago: A scaled-back version of President Donald Trump’s travel ban took effect, stripped of provisions that brought protests and chaos at airports worldwide in January. South Korea’s new leader, Moon Jae-in, dined with President Trump at the White House as part of an effort to reassure Washington that he would coordinate closely on dealing with the North Korean threat. President Trump nominated Indiana’s health commissioner, Dr. Jerome Adams, to serve as the next U.S. surgeon general.
Today’s birthdays: Movie producer Robert Evans is 88. Songwriter L. Russell Brown is 78. Singer-songwriter Garland Jeffreys is 75. Actor Gary Busey is 74. Comedian Richard Lewis is 71. Actor-turned-politican-turned-radio personality Fred Grandy is 70. Rock musician Ian Paice (Deep Purple) is 70. Singer Don Dokken (Dokken) is 65. Rock singer Colin Hay (Men At Work) is 65. Actress Maria Conchita Alonso is 63. Actress Kimberlin Brown (TV: “The Bold and the Beautiful”) is 57. Actress Sharon Lawrence is 57. Actress Amanda Donohoe is 56. Actress Judith Hoag is 55. Violinist Anne-Sophie Mutter is 55. Rhythm and blues singer Stedman Pearson (Five Star) is 54. Actress Kathleen Wilhoite is 54. Producer-writer Matthew Weiner is 53. Musician Dale Baker is 52. Actress Melora Hardin is 51. Actor Brian D’Arcy James is 50. Actress Christina Chang is 47. Rap DJ Shadow is 46. Actor-dancer Will Kemp is 41. Actress Zuleikha Robinson is 41. Country musician Todd Sansom (Marshall Dyllon) is 40. Singer Nicole Scherzinger is 40. Comedian-writer Colin Jost (johst) is 36. Actress Lily Rabe is 36. Rhythm and blues singer Aundrea Fimbres is 35. Actress Camila Mendes (TV: “Riverdale”) is 24.