Related topics

Standoff on Carnes Road ends peacefully after nearly five hours

November 18, 2018 GMT

A chase that started at Heartwood Resources on Highway 99 in Green and covered as many as 30 miles ended peacefully at the north end of Carnes Road about 4 1/2 hours later Saturday afternoon, when the driver of an apparent stolen vehicle, gave himself up to police at about 4 p.m.

As many as 30 police officers from several agencies including the Douglas County Sheriff’s Tactical Response Team, surrounded the pickup that the suspect was driving, after he drove to the dead end of Carnes Road just below Interstate 5.

The road was blocked off about a quarter-mile from the scene, and residents and even a mail carrier were unable to access the homes in the area until the standoff ended.


A witness who said he had recognized the pickup in the Heartwood Resources parking lot as one that belonged to his father, said it had been stolen about a month ago and he confronted the driver.

He said the driver tried to run him over and then took off. So the witness said he followed the pickup onto the freeway and south to Clark’s Branch Road, then onto Robert’s Creek Road. At that point, he said the police took over the pursuit.

Police, he said, spiked the tires somewhere near Glengary Loop Road, but the driver didn’t slow down.

“He drove all the way from there to here (the end of Carnes Road)and he blew through the intersection at Kelly’s Corner at 60 on two flat tires,” the witness said.

Scanner reports indicated that the suspect had a weapon inside the pickup and occasionally pointed it at himself during the ordeal.

Rich Hutton was working on his house next to Carnes Road when he heard a commotion.

“He was barreling down the road, but he didn’t have any tires on his rims, and about 10 cops following right behind him,” Hutton said. “I thought, that guy took a wrong turn, I bet he didn’t know that’s a dead end.”

The Sheriff’s Office has not yet released the name of the suspect.