AP NEWS

Blown manhole cover caused by power outage, Madison Fire says

November 17, 2017

A manhole cover that shot off of a Downtown street Thursday was the result of a power line failure, officials said.

The incident happened at about 12:20 p.m. in the 600 block of Langdon Street, the Madison Fire Department said.

Nobody was hurt, but the cover blowing off left people shaken near the scene.

The underground power line failure also produced smoke in the lobby and basement of a Downtown apartment complex at 619 Langdon Street.

“Madison Gas and Electric told firefighters a high-voltage cable failed, which caused the manhole cover to blow off and to send a small amount of smoke through the power line route into the building,” said MFD spokeswoman Cynthia Schuster.

No damage estimate was given and MGE said there was no danger to the residents in the building.