AP NEWS

City: Torching Frozen Pipes Caused Last Week’s Fire In W-B

February 5, 2019

The fire that tore through a North Main Street home in Wilkes-Barre last week was caused by someone using a propane torch in an attempt to defrost frozen pipes, the city announced Monday.

Capt. Francis Evanko, the city’s fire inspector, ruled the fire at 256 N. Main St. was an accident, the city said in a press release.

Firefighters battled brutal cold in responding to the fire, causing equipment to freeze. Two firefighters were taken to the hospital after falling on ice.

Three residents — a mother and two children — and a pet dog safely escaped the blaze, but a pet cat was not accounted for, firefighters said on the scene.

— BOB KALINOWSKI