Rochester High upends Austin in Region 1 finals
1994 – 25 years ago
• The Rochester Mayo boys hockey team was given the Class A sportsmanship award at last week’s state hockey tournament. Mayo coach Lorne Grosso was named Section One Coach of the Year and Jeff Whitney was assistant coach of the year. They were selected by the state high school league.
• Joseph Colgan from Mayo High School and Renny Foster from Winona Senior High School gained top honors at the 41st Annual Southeastern Minnesota Regional Science Fair. They will now compete in the International Science and Engineering Fair in Birmingham, Ala. in May.
1969 – 50 years ago
• Gary Eiden, instrumental and vocal music director at Lourdes High School has been nominated for the 1969 Minnesota Teacher of the Year award.
• Blizzard-like conditions ushered spring into Minnesota today, piling up a reported 10 inches in many areas. There is heavy drifting and power outages throughout the state.
1944 – 75 years ago
• The Rochester High School Rockets dumped the Austin five in the Region 1 finals 31-27 to advance to the state tournament to be held at the St. Paul auditorium. This is the first trip by RHS to the state basketball tournament since 1940.
• The newest religious congregation in Rochester is that of the Grace Lutheran Church, which was organized Sunday afternoon under the direction of Rev. Armin Deye. The church is at 1117 Fourth St. NE.
• Rex Gregor, 21-year-old hero, son of Mr. and Mrs. Harold Gregor of Rochester, has been awarded the Silver Star for gallantry in action in the Vella Lavella campaign in the South Pacific.
1919 – 100 years ago
• Frank Kellogg, former Rochester man, is being openly discussed in the east as a presidential possibility.
• A play entitled, “Too Much of a Good Thing,” will be given in the Bush school house, Dist. 124. There will be a basket social after the play. Ladies are asked to bring baskets.