Court documents: Wichita toddler dies of blunt force trauma
WICHITA, Kan. (AP) — Court documents say the cause of death for a bruise-covered 2-year-old Wichita boy is blunt force trauma.
KWCH-TV reports that the probable cause affidavit was released Thursday in the case against the boy’s mother, 24-year-old Stephanie Aviles, and her boyfriend, 31-Bernardo Gonzalez-Mejia. They’re charged with first-degree murder in the Sept. 29 death of Jacob Aviles.
Stephanie Aviles told police that Gonzalez-Mejia called her while she was out, first to tell her the boy wasn’t breathing and then to say he was turning yellow. She called 911. She said her son had been hurt before while with Gonzalez-Mejia, but that he would “explain it away.”
The affidavit says Gonzalez-Mejia initially denied injuring Jacob but then admitted that he hit the boy with a belt the night before because he wasn’t eating.
Information from: KWCH-TV, http://www.kwch.com/