Related topics

CO detector alerts Bethel homeowner of dangerous levels

January 2, 2018

BETHEL — A carbon monoxide detector helped alert a local homeowner of dangerously high levels of the gas early Tuesday morning.

Stony Hill Volunteer Fire Department Chief Tom Galliford said the homeowner awoke just before 5 a.m. Tuesday when the alarm on the detector installed just outside of the main bedroom went off.

Galliford said firefighters responding to the call could smell fuel oil coming from the basement as soon as they entered the home. Tests showed the carbon monoxide level was at more than 50 parts per million — a dangerously high level, according to the fire official.

Firefighters ventilated the home by opening the doors and windows and the homeowner contacted a repair man to fix the furnace, officials said. It was one of several carbon monoxide alarms that volunteer firefighters responded to over the weekend, Galliford said.

“Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas,” he said. “The only way to know if the levels in your home are dangerous is to have a detector. Carbon monoxide detectors save lives.”

Any home that has a combustible form of heat, such as natural gas, heating oil or a fireplace, should have carbon monoxide detectors installed, he added. It’s best to install the detectors near the bedroom so the alarm can wake people up while they are sleeping.

Detectors can be purchased at most home improvement stores and online starting at around $10.