AP NEWS

IOC decides against further punishment for Ryan Lochte

September 12, 2016
FILE - In this Tuesday, Aug. 9, 2016, file photo, United States' Ryan Lochte checks his time in a men's 4x200-meter freestyle heat at the 2016 Summer Olympics, in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Lochte is banned from swimming through next June and will forfeit $100,000 in bonus money that went with his gold medal at the Olympics, part of the penalty for his drunken encounter at a gas station in Brazil during last month's games. The U.S. Olympic Committee and USA Swimming announced the penalties Thursday. (AP Photo/Michael Sohn, File)

LAUSANNE, Switzerland (AP) — Ryan Lochte will not receive separate punishment from the International Olympic Committee for lying about being robbed at gunpoint during the Rio de Janeiro Games.

The IOC says it is “adequate” that United States team officials have already banned the swimmer for 10 months and required him to forfeit $100,000 in bonuses. Lochte will miss the 2017 world championships.

The Olympic body says its disciplinary panel decided “no additional penalty was needed on its part.”

The IOC panel also accepted the four-month bans imposed on Lochte’s teammates Gunnar Bentz, Jack Conger and Jimmy Feigen. All four will miss a Team USA visit to the White House.

Lochte and his teammates were involved in an early-morning drunken encounter at a Rio gas station before claiming they were threatened and robbed.

AP RADIO
Update hourly