NC A&T lockdown lifted, suspect in custody after armed man threatened female student

May 3, 2019 GMT

A lockdown at NC A&T University in Greensboro has been lifted and a suspect is in custody after a report of an armed man who threatened a student near Pride Hall.

The school posted the alert on its website and on social media, asking students and staff to shelter in place.

The first warning was issued at about 1 p.m., noting an “armed subject in the area of Aggie Stadium.” The campus-wide lockdown was issued at 1:39 p.m., and the lockdown was lifted shortly after 3 p.m.

The final classes of the spring semester met on Tuesday at NC A&T. Graduation is scheduled for May 11.


The alert comes just three days after a deadly shooting on the campus of the University of North Carolina at Charlotte. On Tuesday afternoon, Tristyn Andrew Terrell, 22, opened fire in a crowded classroom in Kennedy Hall there on the last day of the spring semester, killing two and injuring four others.

Terrell was formally charged with two counts of murder and four counts of attempted murder Thursday but chose not to appear at the Mecklenburg County Courthouse as the charges were read against him.

The university said that the two who were killed were Ellis “Reed” Parlier, 19, of Midland, North Carolina, and Riley C. Howell, 21, of Waynesville, North Carolina. The injured students are Sean DeHart, 20, and Drew Pescaro, 19, both of Apex, North Carolina; Emily Houpt, 23, of Charlotte; and Rami Alramadhan, 20, of Saihat, Saudi Arabia.

Howell, who is scheduled to be laid to rest on Sunday, is being hailed as a hero by law enforcement officers, who say he fought the gunman, preventing further loss of life.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Chief Kerr Putney said Howell “took the assailant off his feet” but was fatally wounded. He said Howell did what police train people to do in active shooter situations.

“You’re either going to run, you’re going to hide and shield, or you’re going to take the fight to the assailant. Having no place to run and hide, he did the last. But for his work, the assailant may not have been disarmed,” Putney said. “Unfortunately, he gave his life in the process. But his sacrifice saved lives.”