Five things you need to know today, Aug. 20
Take a look at the news in and around Odessa on Saturday, Aug. 20. Find complete local news coverage in the Odessa American every day, online at oaoa.com and our daily E-Edition at myoaoa.com.
1. A traffic accident killed a road worker Friday on the eastbound lanes of Highway 302 just east of Notrees.
2. The case involving a San Angelo man who was arrested earlier this year on an accusation of fatally punching out a Jaguar’s Gold Club patron is being reviewed by the Ector County District Attorney’s Office, DA Bobby Bland said.
3. This year’s Ector County Independent School District convocation Friday included a pep rally to kick off the year, a message from retired U.S. Army Col. Parker Schenecker and a medical emergency.
4. Four people were arrested this week in connection with a raid at an Odessa home where police and federal authorities said drugs and weapons were seized.
5. IN SPORTS: With a host of roster spots up for grabs, the Permian football team needed a scrimmage. The Panthers’ coaching staff received bright spots from an offense that posted 11 touchdowns and a defense that gave up just one. The Odessa High Bronchos football team went through a full-contact workout with El Paso Montwood on Friday night at Alpine’s Buck Stadium — and now, the Bronchos have a bit of a better idea as to where they stand before the regular season kicks off Aug. 26.