AP NEWS

Questions remain over release of Wanaque outbreak documents

October 23, 2019 GMT

WANAQUE, N.J. (AP) — One year after one of New Jersey’s deadliest viral outbreaks, residents are closer to understanding how it claimed the lives of 11 children.

NorthJersey.com says state health officials have spent almost a year fighting the release of documents that could explain government response to the Wanaque outbreak. The newspaper sued the health department last December after it refused to provide access to documents.

NorthJersey.com reports the department has slowly released 1,400 pages of documents over the last year that they say are either “irrelevant” or contain so many redactions that it is impossible to determine what the government was doing during the height of the crisis.

The newspaper’s attorney says all records should be released with minimum redactions as the outbreak was a significant public health issue. Health department lawyers say redactions were made to protect patient privacy.