US arrests man suspected of killing 8 in Mexico
SACRAMENTO, California (AP) — A man accused of killing eight Mexican municipal government officials has been arrested and turned over to officials in that country, U.S. authorities said.
Genaro Olaguez, 53, had been living at a relative’s California home before his arrest Tuesday, Deputy U.S. Marshal Frank Newsom said Wednesday.
Olaguez is suspected of killing a commissioner and seven other city officials in Sinaloa, Mexico, in May 2000. Four others also were seriously wounded.
The marshals service has been given few details on the killings, Newsom said. “All I know is heavy weapons” were used, he said.
Newsom and Sacramento County Sheriff’s Sgt. Lisa Bowman said Olaguez was deported to Mexico on Wednesday.
Mariana Carine Tyler, a spokeswoman for the Mexican Consulate in Sacramento, said she could not immediately comment or provide other details.
Authorities learned Tuesday that Olaguez was living at the residence. They watched the house until they saw Olaguez return.
Ed Shaver, a public defender representing Olaguez, did not immediately return a telephone message.
Robert Himelblau, a spokesman for the San Joaquin County district attorney’s office, also did not immediately respond.