AP NEWS

One tests positive for E. coli, 30 others become ill after eating at Taylorsville restaurant

June 23, 2018

Health officials say dozens of people became very ill after eating at a restaurant in Taylorsville in Alexander County on Friday.

Health officials said one person tested positive for E. coli, and more than 30 others are also sick after eating chicken at the restaurant.

Authorities did not positively identified the restaurant involved, but the Taylorsville location of Mexico Viejo posted a statement on their Facebook page Friday about sick customers.

The bacterial infection E. coli causes severe stomach cramps, diarrhea, vomiting and sometimes a low-grade fever.

Officials say the restaurant has been cooperating and will remain open after all the infected products have been removed.