AP NEWS
Click to copy
Click to copy

Man hospitalized after opening bottle containing rat poison

April 24, 2019

FALL RIVER, Mass. (AP) — A Massachusetts man who opened an antique bottle of rat poison he thought contained whiskey was taken to the hospital after complaining of burning on his hands and throat.

Fall River Fire Capt. Neil Furtado tells The Herald News firefighters responded to a self-storage facility in the city at about 7:30 p.m. Tuesday.

The man said he had bought several bottles at auction and was told they were at least 60 years old and probably contained whiskey. The man is expected to be OK. His name wasn’t released.

Furtado says the only bottle he opened contained strychnine powder, used as rat poison.

A hazardous materials team responded and tested the other bottles, some of which contained acid.

Nothing was spilled but the storage facility was shut down for several hours.

___

Information from: The (Fall River, Mass.) Herald News, http://www.heraldnews.com

All contents © copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.