Minor leaguers suing over wages recertified as class action
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — A suit by minor league baseball players alleging they are being paid less than minimum wage has been recertified as a class action in federal court in San Francisco.
The players sued in February, claiming most earn less than $7,500 annually in violation of several laws. Magistrate Judge Joseph C. Spero preliminarily granted class-action status in October 2015 and withdrew the certification last July. After a motion to reconsider, Spero ordered late Tuesday to certify a class that included players who participated since Feb. 7, 2011, in the California League, spring training, extended spring training or instructional leagues and hadn’t signed a major league contract before then.
Spero recertified the players who participated in spring training, extended spring training and instructional leagues as a collective under federal law and the California League players as a class under California state law.
In a 69-page order, Spero told the parties to propose a case schedule by April 28 and set a case management conference for May 12.
Major League Baseball declined comment. Baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred said last year “this is not a dollars-and-cents issue” but “the irrationality of the application of traditional workplace overtime rules to minor league baseball players.”