Related topics

Connecticut State Police recall 1,200 devices used to revive victims of opioid overdose

November 4, 2016 GMT

The Connecticut State Police announced Friday is moving forward with a voluntary recall of a drug overdose antidote after some of the units were found to be defective.

“We are confident in the device, but out of an abundance of caution are taking steps to mitigate the risks associated with the recall,” said CSP spokesman Trooper Tyler Weerden, in a statement.

The device is an atomized nose spray that administers a dose of naxolone (or brand-name version Narcan), a medicine that can mitigate the effects of an opioid overdose.

Called the MAD Nasal Intranasal Mucosal Atomization Device, it’s manufactured by Teleflex Medical Corp., who issued the recall earlier this week.

“It is supposed to deliver a plume or a puff of the drug up your sinuses,” Chris Stan, spokesman for the state Department of Public Health, told Hearst Connecticut Media Thursday. “The defective ones deliver it in a stream instead of a plume.”

Local and state first responders are scrambling to deal with the recall without disrupting their ability to treated high numbers of overdoses.

“Since the recall we’ve used this device to administer Narcan 33 times,” said Weerden. “These 33 applications were successful and saved lives.”

Despite no documented cases of a failing device affecting treatments, the department has recalled 700 units and plans to pull an additional 500 in the coming weeks.

While the officers are migrating out the possibly defective units, they’re doubling up when responding to suspected overdoses, sending two troopers to each call in case one of the devices fails.

“We have conducted shift briefings and implemented additional training to inform personnel of the potential for a defective dispensing mechanism and its indicators,” Weereden said.

According to Weereden, the CSP has responded to128 opioid overdose calls since they started carrying the devices in October of 2014.

Of those, 116 were revived, four had no response to the medicine but survived, and eight didn’t make it.