Day in History: Drafted men take cooking class
1993 – 25 years ago
• Marjorie Dorner, of Winona, has won the 1993 Minnesota Book Award for fiction for her book, “Winter Road, Summer Fields: Stories.”
• A Minnesota investment group will build a 44-unit motel next to the Westwind Restaurant along U.S. 52 just south of Cannon Falls. Construction will begin this month.
1968 – 50 years ago
• Jeff Thauwald of Preston scored four firsts in a triangular track and field meet winning the 100-, 220- and 440-yard sprints and the shot put.
• Plans for the possible expansion of IBM facilities in Rochester are being studied. Under consideration are additions to the development laboratory and manufacturing complex, as well as a new educational facility.
1943 – 75 years ago
• One hundred and fifty couples attended the junior-senior prom given by students of Rochester Senior High school in the Central cafeteria. This is the first time the prom has been held in the cafeteria. Leading the grand march was Odean Erickson, president of the junior class and his partner, Miss Catherine Doty.
• More than 5,000 persons attended the eighth annual Gypsy Frolic at Mayo Civic Auditorium. Miss Rachel Teske of the Dresser Valley 4-H club was crowned Gypsy Queen.
1918 – 100 years ago
• Area men recently drafted took a cooking class and served their own feast in the high school. The city council and other city officials attended the dinner and it was noted that the drafted men have become good cooks.
• George Sellers and Miss Francis Cooper were married this week at the Baptist parsonage by Rev. Robert MacMullen. Mr. Sellers is a nurse at the Colonial.
From news services
One year ago: Michael Slager, a white former police officer whose killing of Walter Scott, an unarmed black man running from a traffic stop, was captured on cellphone video, pleaded guilty to federal civil rights charges in Charleston, South Carolina. (Slager was sentenced to 20 years in prison.) United Airlines CEO Oscar Munoz apologized on Capitol Hill for an incident in which a passenger was dragged off a flight, calling it “a mistake of epic proportions” as frustrated lawmakers warned airline executives to improve customer service or face congressional intervention.
Today’s birthdays: Singer Engelbert Humperdinck is 82. Former International Olympic Committee President Jacques Rogge is 76. Actress-activist Bianca Jagger is 73. Singer-songwriter Larry Gatlin is 70. Rock singer Lou Gramm (Foreigner) is 68. Actress Christine Baranski is 66. Singer Angela Bofill is 64. Fashion designer Donatella Versace is 63. Actor Brian Tochi is 59. Movie director Stephen Daldry is 58. Actress Elizabeth Berridge is 56. Country singer Ty Herndon is 56. Actress Mitzi Kapture is 56. Rock musician Todd Sucherman (Styx) is 49. Wrestler-turned-actor Dwayne Johnson (The Rock) is 46. Soccer player David Beckham is 43. Rock singer Jeff Gutt (goot) (Stone Temple Pilots) is 42. Actress Jenna Von Oy is 41. Actress Ellie Kemper is 38. Actor Robert Buckley is 37. Actor Gaius Charles is 35. Pop singer Lily Rose Cooper is 33. Olympic gold medal figure skater Sarah Hughes is 33. Rock musician Jim Almgren (Carolina Liar) is 32. Actor Thomas McDonell is 32. Actress Kay Panabaker is 28. Princess Charlotte of Cambridge is 3.