Manhunt sparked by killing, child abduction ends after suspect found shot
Guadalupe County Sheriff, Arnold Zwicke, confirmed Sunday night that Richard Jose Concepcion has died.
Sheriff Zwicke said Concepcion died en route to an area hospital after suffering a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
The shooting death of a woman and the abduction of her 18-month-old son sparked a multi-county manhunt for the boy’s father, a recently retired Army veteran, who was later found with a self-inflicted gunshot wound and the child safe in his truck, officials said.
Richard Jose Concepcion, 37, and his son were found by authorities in Guadalupe County nearly two hours after an Amber Alert was issued for 18-month-old Aaron Joseph Concepcion on Sunday morning.
As of Sunday evening, Concepcion was still hospitalized and his condition was reported as grave.
San Antonio Police Chief William McManus said officers were called to assist in the custodial exchange of the 18-month-old boy around 8 a.m. but the call was changed when shots were fired at the home on the 10400 block of Arbor Bluff.
When police arrived at the Northwest Side residence, the still-unidentified woman was found dead at the doorstep of the home and Concepcion had fled with the child, McManus said.
According to Bexar County records, Concepcion was currently involved in divorce proceedings with Sarah Alexis Furey. Though the records did not indicate when the couple married, the action was filed on Oct. 30 and a temporary restraining order had been placed on Concepcion the next day. It is unclear if the TRO had been lifted.
Saying that the relationship between the couple was estranged, McManus said that officers have been called to the home several times in the past for domestic issues since the couple separated.
According to Jose Rodriguez, a spokesman for the U.S. Army Medical Department and School, Concepcion was an Army staff sergeant on transition leave until his retirement.
McManus said a photograph posted Saturday on Facebook shows Concepcion holding discharge papers from the Army with a caption that said “Done!”
Police said the couple’s two other children were not involved in the incident. Details about who would take custody of the three children were not immediately given.
The shooting marks the second violent incident involving a former member of the military. On Nov. 5, Devin Kelley shot and killed 26 people at the First Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs. Kelley had been a member of the Air Force until he was court-martialed and discharged because of a domestic violence incident involving his stepson.
Staff writers Nicole Bautista, Sig Christenson and Chris Quinn and news researcher Michael Knoop contributed to this report.
email@example.com | Twitter: alexluna801