Medina falls to Beavercreek, 1-0, in double overtime in in Division I boys soccer state championship

November 12, 2017 GMT

Medina falls to Beavercreek, 1-0, in double overtime in in Division I boys soccer state championship

COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Medina boys soccer team will have to wait at least another year to win its first state championship as it fell 1-0 to Beavercreek in the Division I state championship game at MAPFRE Stadium Saturday night.

Just 1:09 into the second overtime period, Dominic Calabrese passed to Ryan Bernt, who found the back of the net to give Beavercreek its first state championship.

“They took advantage of a good opportunity,” Medina coach Simon Spelling said. “They did well and deserved to win. I was hoping to go to a shootout.”

Beavercreek came out as the aggressor early, constantly putting pressure on the Medina defense and goalkeeper Tyler Glasenapp. The senior keeper was up to the task, making a save in the first minute of the game on a shot by Evan Williams. He then made two saves against Jacob Westerkamp in the half to keep the game scoreless until Medina’s offense could get going.

“They definitely came out harder than we expected,” Glasenapp said. “We kind of sat back in the first 20 minutes but we kept our cool. We had an early save nobody expected but we were able to keep in it. It just didn’t go our way.”

The best chance for Medina in the first half came on a shot by Cole Werthmuller, but it was deflected out and the Bees couldn’t do anything with the ensuing corner kick.

“We wanted to get nice and compact, they had some very good players out there,” Spelling said. “We didn’t maintain possession of the ball as well as I would have liked and we didn’t have enough firepower.”

Dominic Calabrese had a great look to give Beavercreek the first goal with just over eight minutes left in the first half, but he missed the net wide.

Beavercreek came out in the second half and again pushed the pace. Glasenapp was forced to make another stop in the first minute, as Calabrese got a shot on goal.

“Physically they were stronger than us, speed wise they were faster than us, technically they were more solid than us,” Spelling said. “But we competed and gave them a game.”

Medina had a chance about halfway through the second half as Andy Proster led a 2-on-1 attack, but they were not able to get a shot on goal.

The best chance for a goal in the second half came off the foot of Calabrese with three minutes left when he was unable to connect with a touch shot. The ball just went wide of the net and kept the game scoreless.

“You have to take what your strengths are,” Spelling said. “We couldn’t go toe to toe with them, so we had to be a little more cagey but unfortunately we couldn’t get a goal.”

Beavercreek was able to get seven shots on goal to Medina’s two and had 22 shots in the game to eight for the Bees. Mike Kelly and Parker Csiszar had the shots on goal for the Bees and Cssiszar led Medina with three shots.

Medina finished the season with a record of 16-1-5 and its first trip to the state championship game.

“I am thinking about next year already,” Spelling said. “We are not leaving with what we wanted, so we will see what we can do next year.”

Ryan Isley is a freelancer from Akron.