AP NEWS
Related topics

House fire appears accidental

January 17, 2018 GMT

KANKAKEE — A mother and her two children were left homeless after a fire severely damaged the home they live in on Tuesday morning.

Kankakee Fire Chief Damon Schuldt said the second floor of the house in the 400 block of North Greenwood Avenue had significant damage.

Smoke detectors alerted the family to the fire, Schuldt said. He said the Red Cross was assisting the family.

Schuldt said the fire appears accidental. It appears someone was soldering pipes the previous day that might have smoldered overnight, he said.

Apparently, the first floor was being renovated for a business, Schuldt said.

Firefighters were called out at 7:15 a.m. and on scene for 90 minutes.

There were no injuries, Schuldt said.