Teen pleads no contest to bringing gun to Lawrence school
LAWRENCE, Kan. (AP) — A teenager has been convicted of bringing a handgun to Lawrence High School in his backpack.
The Lawrence Journal-World reports that a judge convicted the teen after he pleaded no contest Wednesday to a misdemeanor, juvenile charge of criminal use of a weapon. As part of the plea, a property damage charge was dismissed.
Prosecutor Bryant Barton says the gun was found in the teen’s backpack in February after he was sent to the office when he tossed his school-issued laptop computer at a door. The impact broke a window in the door. Records show the teen was born in 2004, making him either 14 or 15.
School officials said previously that no students or staff members were threatened with the gun.
The teen’s sentencing is set for July 29.
Information from: Lawrence (Kan.) Journal-World, http://www.ljworld.com