Weather-related closures, and some openings
Closures are being planned ahead of Wednesday’s 14 below forecast. Submit your information for this list to firstname.lastname@example.org.
What we know so far:
• CGH Medical Center will remain open.
The CGH Medical Center Main Clinic and its outlying clinics will be closed all day Wednesday and Thursday morning; normal operating hours will resume at 1 p.m. Thursday.
Patients will be notified if any tests or procedures at the hospital are cancelled; they can call 815-625-0400 to reschedule an appointment.
The CGH Emergency Room lobby and cafeteria at 100 E. LeFevre Road are available as warming centers. The cafeteria is open from 6:30 a.m. to 8 p.m.
• The Whiteside County Health Department clinic will be open.
Government offices and services
• The Whiteside County Senior Center is closed until Friday
• Whiteside County Public Transportation is closed until Friday; no buses will run.
• Both Whiteside County courthouses will be closed Wednesday.
• The Lee-Ogle Transportation System will be closed Wednesday; no buses will run.
• The Lee County Council on Aging’s senior center in Dixon will be closed Wednesday.
• Both Lee County Courthouses and all county governement offices will be closed Wednesday and Thursday.
• The Dixon Public Library is closing at 5 p.m. today and will be closed Wednesday.
• The Rock River Senior Center in Oregon will be closed Wednesday.
• All Secretary of State driver’s facilities and offices will be closed Wednesday; whether they will be open Thursday will be determined at noon Wednesday. Go to www.cyberdriveillinois.com for updates, or to access its online services.
Expect all schools to be closed at least Wednesday. Confirmed so far:
Rock Falls High School, and East Coloma-Nelson, Montmorency and Rock Falls District 13 schools in Rock Falls will be closed Wednesday.
All Sterling public schools, Christ Lutheran in Sterling, and Ohio and Erie schools will be closed Wednesday and Thursday, as will Sauk Valley Community College.
Dixon, Prophetstown-Lyndon-Tampico, and Bureau Valley schools are closed through Friday.
• The Leydig Center thrift store in Dixon will be closed Thursday.
• Dixon Furniture Mart will be closed Wednesday.
• Jensen Chiropractic in Sterling will be closed Wednesday and will reopen at 1 p.m. Thursday.
• All offices of the Business Employment Skills Team Inc., including the Dixon office, will be closed Wednesday.
ROCK FALLS – Happy Tails Humane Society and Animal Shelter is building 100 temporary feral cat shelters and filling them with straw. Pick them up at the shelter at 1408 McNeil Road from 1 to 5 p.m. today and from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Wednesday.
The shelter’s veterinary clinic also is open for emergencies and vaccines only today and Wednesday. Go to happytailsanimalshelter.org or call 815-626-2994 for more information or to donate to the cause.
And for anyone who might be wondering, Winter the abandoned cat was spayed today and has been adopted.
Other venues and activities
• Loveland Community House and Museum in Dixon will be closed Wednesday and Thursday. Renters can contact staff at lovelandcommunityhouse.org or on its Facebook page.
• Tampico First United Methodist Men’s annual chili supper is moved from Wednesday to Feb. 6. Chili, relish trays, dessert, and beverages and ham sandwiches will be served from 4:30 to 7 p.m. in the basement of the church, 202 N. Lincoln St. Donations will be accepted. Call 815-535-3665 for more information.