Click to copy
Click to copy

2 arrested after shots fired CT detective

March 29, 2019

HARTFORD -Two city men are scheduled to be arraigned Friday on charges one fired a stolen gun at a city detective and then threw the weapon out of a car window causing police to shut down a busy highway to look for the firearm Thursday afternoon.

Jose Ramos, 31, and Anthony Torres, 26, both of Hartford, were in a vehicle in the area of 150 Hillside Avenue where a Hartford detective in an unmarked car was conducting a narcotics investigation, police said. Two shots were fired from a black Honda Accord which passed the detective’s vehicle on the right, police said.

One of the shots struck the unmarked cruiser. The detective wasn’t harmed, police said. Other detectives working the same operation followed the Honda with patrol cars onto Interstate 84 westbound where the car was pulled over between exits 44 and 45, police said. Ramos and Torres were in the Honda and taken into custody. State Department of Transportation traffic video in the area showed an object being thrown from the vehicle onto the side of the highway as officers tried to pull the pair over.

The highway was shut down for nearly an hour as investigators scoured the area for evidence including the gun that was used in the shooting, police said. A spent bullet casing was in the car in plain sight, police said. The gun believed to be used in the shooting was found during the search of the highway. The weapon, a Kimber 1911 .45 caliber handgun was reported stolen during a 2015 burglary in Suffolk County, police said.

Ramos, who was a passenger in the Honda, was determined to be the shooter, police said.

He was charged with attempted first-degree assault and several gun offenses including criminal possession of a firearm, criminal use of a firearm, possession of a stolen vehicle and unlawful discharge of a firearm. Torres is also facing numerous charges including first-degree reckless endangerment, conspiracy to commit first-degree assault, reckless driving and engaging police in pursuit.

Both men were held on bond and are expected to be arraigned in Hartford Superior Court today.

All contents © copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.