Wild falls short to Bruins in quick overtime

March 26, 2018 GMT

Three pucks crossed the goal line.

But only one counted.

And it didn’t belong to the Wild.

After having a goal-against wiped off the board, the Wild had one of its own tallies annulled.

It was a tough break that looked like it was going to sink the team — until a fortuitous bounce flipped the script and helped the Wild collect a point in a 2-1 overtime loss to the Bruins on Sunday in front of 19,183 at Xcel Energy Center.

The result extended the Wild’s point streak to five and partly cashed in on the game at-hand it had over the Avalanche, as this upped its lead for the third seed in the Central Division to three points with each team having seven games to go.

Bruins winger Brad Marchand resolved the extra period just 28 seconds in with a blistering shot over goalie Alex Stalock’s glove, his 33rd goal of the season and fifth in overtime. That snuffed out a Wild rally that started 9:20 into the third when Matt Dumba’s shot caromed off the end boards and into the crease. There, captain Mikko Koivu was in position to direct it by Boston goalie Tuukka Rask and tie it at 1-1 — a sign the Wild’s puck luck was changing.

Early in the second period, the Bruins appeared to sprout a lead when center Noel Acciari wired the puck over Stalock.

But since Stalock was knocked down by center Riley Nash, the goal was taken away because of goaltender interference.

Shortly after, the Bruins scored again — and this time the goal stood.

Winger David Pastrnak one-timed a feed from center Patrice Bergeron just inside the post 3:15 into the period.

Later in the period, the Wild started a scramble in front of Boston’s net and after the whistle went, winger Jason Zucker tucked the puck into an open side. The goal was immediately waved off, but the sequence was still reviewed; the situation room initialed the examination, wanting to see if the puck crossed the goal line. But with the on-ice official calling the play dead, it turned into a non-reviewable play and the initial call stood.

Although that missed opportunity became magnified after the Wild went scoreless again in the second, the team had enough other quality looks that it could have converted.

Take the first period; after putting only one shot on net through the first half of the frame, the Wild got better. Rask stymied defenseman Ryan Murphy after leaving his net, somehow getting back in time to block the shot.

He also kicked out his pad to get a toe on a Matt Cullen redirection. In the second, winger Zach Parise had a shorthanded break stopped and early in the third winger Nino Niederreiter rang a shot off the post.

The Wild also blanked on two power-play chances as did the Bruins.

Eventually, the Wild eluded the pipes and Rask on Koivu’s 14th of the season. The team came close to finding another in the waning seconds of the third period. Stalock finished with 26 saves; Rask had 24.