AP NEWS

Illinois man appears on sexual assault charges

June 20, 2017 GMT

JUNEAU – An 18-year-old man made his initial appearance in court Monday on charges of sexually assaulting two young boys last summer and taking suggestive photos of them before returning to his Illinois home.

Seth D. Oltmanns, Mount Morris, Illinois, is charged with three counts of first degree sexual assault of a child and seven counts of possession of child pornography. He could be sentenced up to 355 years and a $700,000 fine.

Dodge County Circuit Court Judge Steven Bauer placed Oltmanns on a $5,000 cash bond. He may not have any direct or indirect contact with any minors without supervision. He also may not have any contact with the victims.

Oltmanns was released from the Dodge County Jail after making bail.

According to the criminal complaint, Oltmanns was staying at a relative’s house in the town of Lomira in July and August 2016. Oltmanns watched two small boys in the home, 8 and 10. The two mothers of the boys contacted police with separate phone calls Aug. 22 and each reported that her son had been sexually assaulted by Oltmanns.

The 8-year-old boy attended a forensic interview Aug. 25 where he told of the alleged abuse to which the boys were exposed. The boy said that Oltmanns sexually assaulted him several times including insisting that the boys take a bath with him on one occasion. The victim also recalled several terms that Oltmanns used during the attacks.

The 10-year-old boy underwent a forensic interview on the same day and told a detective a similar story. He said Oltmanns would punch him in a private area of his body.

According to the complaint, the boy told police that Oltmanns had taken several suggestive photos of the boys and saved them in a secret file on his phone.

Dodge County Sheriff’s Office attempted to reach Oltmanns beginning Sept. 20. They eventually were assisted with getting a hold of Oltmanns at his grandmother’s house in Mount Morris Oct. 18. Oltmanns originally denied any contact with the boys and said the boys were inappropriate toward him, but he always left the area at those times. According to the complaint, he admitted knowing the terms the boys told the police and eventually admitted some of the activities.

Oltmanns allowed police access to his phone but denied having the photos on the phone or anywhere else. According to the complaint, he eventually admitted to having the photos and said he attempted to delete them but was unable to do so. He also admitted to having a secret file where he hid the photos. After the photos were found he allegedly admitted to touching one of the boys inappropriately.

On the phone, there were 37 images of young men being exposed. In addition police found that Oltmanns had done searches for little boys in underwear, gay boys ages 10 to 14 and picture hiding calculator apps.

A preliminary hearing in the case is scheduled for Aug. 3.