AP NEWS

One injured in West Ashley house fire that started in kitchen

November 4, 2017 GMT

One person was sent to the hospital after a kitchen fire broke out early Saturday at a West Ashley home.

Charleston firefighters and assisting agencies were called to Birthright Street shortly after 3 a.m., where crews found smoke coming from the home.

After firefighters learned all occupants had evacuated, they entered the home to control the blaze and search the house. Upon entering, firefighters saw the fire was confined to the kitchen and worked to extinguish the flames.

Investigators from the Fire Marshal Division later determined the residential fire originated at the stove as a result of unattended cooking.

Though all occupants evacuated the home, one sustained burn injuries while trying to extinguish the flames, according to a statement from the Charleston Fire Department. That person was transported to an area hospital for care.

A second occupant ran to a neighbor’s house for help and to call 911.