Related topics

LeRoy Fredrick ‘Fred’ Evenson

November 15, 2016

Funeral services for LeRoy Fredrick “Fred” Evenson will be at 2 p.m., Nov. 17. Pastor Mark Taylor will officiate at the service at Plentywood Lutheran Church, with interment in Plentywood Memorial Cemetery. After struggling with medical problems most all his life, Fred’s heart finally wore out and he passed away peacefully unexpectedly Saturday, Nov. 12, 2016, at Sheridan Memorial Hospital. He had reached age 75 — quite a milestone for him!

LeRoy or Fred as he was known by most everyone, was born Aug. 31, 1941, to Leland and Elizabeth ( Lossing) Evenson. He was born early and small and joined big brother Warner and later along came Geraldine, Dwayne, Audrey, Dean and finally Lynette. He was baptized and confirmed at Plentywood Lutheran Church, attended Plentywood Schools, and graduated in 1959.

During high school he worked as the projectionist for Myron Bean at the Orpheum Theater. Growing up he enjoyed hunting with his brothers and good friend Dale Pohle. After graduating he tried college at Billings for a year but then returned home to work for Roland Wilson at the local Ford dealership as a mechanic. He was a very gifted mechanic and after a few years a fellow mechanic, Doug Konshur convinced him to come to Kalispell, to work at Rygg Ford. He enjoyed what Kalispell had to offer. He loved to snowmobile and enjoyed many snowmobile trips. He worked there until 1968, when he had open heart surgery in Spokane, WA. Fred was one of the first recipients to have an artificial heart valve. With the surgery being so new at the time, he was one of the few that survived for any length of time.

Returning home to Plentywood, he lived with his Mother and Dad until he was able to work again. He then joined his dad and brother, Dwayne, at the Sheridan Redi Mix hauling concrete, being their main mechanic, and doing whatever was asked of him. He drove many miles and met many people. In 2000, the artificial valve finally wore out and needed to be replaced. Once again his health forced him to “retire.” The doctors were amazed the valve had lasted so long and he was still “ticking” as the valve had a ticking sound that could be heard if you were near him. A new valve was put in and Fred went back to work. In 2009 he once again underwent open heart surgery to repair the valve and have bypasses. His working days were over. In 2013, another repair to the valve was attempted at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn.

When Fred was able he enjoyed riding his Gold Wing motorcycle and going on road trips with Kenny Leom and a few other local riders. Meeting brother Warner in Billings to go snowmobiling in West Yellowstone was a yearly event until Warner’s untimely death in 2001. After his mother died in Sept 2008, Fred continued to live by himself. Even though he felt uncomfortable in crowds, Fred faithfully ushered every Sunday at Plentywood Lutheran Church for several years. He enjoyed listening to Billy Graham even though his sermons were reruns. He was a member of the local Elks Lodge. Not one to do much cooking, he enjoyed his visits to the cafes and just driving his little pickup around. He spent many, many hours with his sister Audrey and her family. She had to remind him at times they weren’t “joined at the hip.”

He liked to play the card game Five Crowns and was pretty sharp at it. He took pride in the work he did with the John Deere Model D tractor his dad had given him. Never one to complain, Fred pushed himself far beyond his limits. He didn’t want to ask for help. Even though his health was failing this fall, he would drive out to Audrey’s and watch the combining, maybe taking an occasional nap or two in his little pickup.

He is survived by his sister Audrey (Raymond) Wang of Plentywood and their sons Travis and his sons Zach and Bridger; and Troy (Phillip) and his daughters Lauren and Camille; brother Dwayne of Plentywood, brother Dean (Cheryl) of Dickinson N.D., and their children Arlinda (Brad) Holthus and children Braven, Corbin and Dalean, and Jamie (Kandace) and children Dustin and Elizabeth and sister Lynette (Geoffery) Byrd of Salt Lake City, Utah and his son. He is also survived by his sister Geraldine’s husband, Lowell Ator, of Plentywood and their daughters Shawndell McCall and her daughter Mikaela and Tracy (Brent) Blackmore and her children Brady and Riley, and brother Warner’s wife Karen of Billings and her children and families. Aunts Rose Lossing, Marcella Evenson, Pasquie Evenson and Delores Evenson also survive as do several cousins. Fred was predeceased by his parents, brother Warner, sister Geraldine, and sister in law Bernice.

Go rest high on that mountain Fred, your work here is done! Go to heaven singing—Praise the Father and the Son!

Fulkerson Funeral Home of Plentywood has charge of arrangements: Read and print the obituary, post remembrances, and send cards and flowers online at www.fulkersonsplentywood.com.