Another bullpen tour in store for Lumberton’s Clay Buchholz
Lumberton’s Clay Buchholz is headed back to the Boston Red Sox bullpen at least through the five games before the All-Star break, manager John Farrell announced this week.
The bullpen assignment is the second of Buchholz’s career. The first began earlier this season and ended in June.
“We’ve leaned on a few guys in the bullpen of late,” Farrell said after Monday’s 12-5 victory over the Texas Rangers at Fenway Park. “Clay would give us the ability to include him in the bullpen sooner” than Sean O’Sullivan.
Farrell said O’Sullivan will start against Tampa Bay on Friday. In a start against the Los Angeles Angels on Sunday, O’Sullivan allowed two runs on four hits and three walks over five-plus innings.
Buchholz started on Saturday and gave up six runs - three earned - on seven hits and one walk over four-plus innings in a 21-2 loss to the Angels.
He also gave up five home runs in his first three games back in the rotation in June. He has the team’s longest losing streak, now at four games since June 1.
But the 31-year-old right-hander had success in his first relief duty, including four appearances without a run.
With the Aug. 1 trade deadline approaching, the 10-year veteran joins fellow Southeast Texan Jay Bruce (Cincinnati Reds) as the subject of trade rumors.
His name is mentioned by the Boston Globe and ESPN’s MLB Rumor Central as a potential candidate - and a bargain - with the team’s $13.5 million option on him for next year.
Below is a look at how Buchholz has fared this season compared to his career.