Murder charge dropped against Brownsville man

November 17, 2018 GMT

A judge dismissed charges of murder and aggravated assault with a deadly weapon against a Brownsville man accused of the city’s first homicide in 2018.

The Cameron County District Attorney’s Office filed a motion to dismiss the charges against Robert Galvan, 37, citing further investigation, and on Thursday, 445th state District Judge Gloria Rincones granted the motion.

The Brownsville Police Department arrested Galvan on April 11 on charges of stabbing 54-year-old Horacio Eguia to death and stabbing 43-year-old Brian Scott, who survived. The altercation followed an argument over gas money and the stabbing occurred early in the morning on the 200 block of E. 10th Street, police reports indicate.


Galvan’s attorney, Nat C. Perez, said his client is still being held without bond on a motion to revoke his probation filed after his April arrest by the Cameron County District Attorney’s Office.

In 2016, Galvan pleaded guilty to aggravated assault causing serious bodily injury to a family member. At the time of the homicide, Galvan was on community supervision.

According to that indictment, Galvan pushed a female family member’s face against the windshield of a vehicle, hit her with his fist and pushed her head into the gear shift of the vehicle, causing serious bodily injury.

In its motion to revoke, the DA’s office cites numerous violations of his supervised release, including being arrested for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon on Dec. 5, 2017; testing positive for cocaine on Nov. 28, 2017, and admitting to using the drug; for being delinquent on $1,000 on probation fees and $755 in restitution; and for being unsuccessfully discharged from the Batterers Intervention Program on two occasion.

Perez said he expects there will be a hearing in the future on the motion to revoke Galvan’s probation.

“Obviously, we’re going to defend against that,” Perez said.

The Brownsville Herald has reached out to the DA’s Office to ask whether it plans to re-indict Galvan on the murder charge.