Man in Chelmsford Chase, Shooting Was Driving Fitchburg Couple’s Car

July 19, 2016 GMT

LOWELL -- The day after a Fitchburg couple with a 3-week-old daughter had their car stolen from Lowell General Hospital, that car was used to lead police on a pursuit from Tyngsboro to Chelmsford that ended with police shooting the driver twice.

The Middlesex District Attorney’s Office identified Michael Clark, 27, of Tyngsboro, as the suspect who was shot as he allegedly dragged a Chelmsford police sergeant through the parking lot of Sully’s Ice Cream Stand following the pursuit Saturday night.

Prosecutors also charged Clark with driving the stolen Buick LeSabre sedan to Nashua on Friday night, and using the car owner’s credit card to make several fraudulent purchases.

Clark will be arraigned in his bed at Boston Medical Center on Tuesday if his condition allows, prosecutors said Monday night.

He is charged with assault with intent to murder, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon (motor vehicle), operating to endanger, assault and battery on a police officer, resisting arrest, receiving a stolen motor vehicle, receiving stolen property over $250 and failure to stop for police, according to a District Attorney’s Office.

Kristen D’Eon, 22, of Fitchburg, said she was at Lowell General Hospital with her fiancé, Rob Logan Jr., Friday afternoon because their 3-week-old daughter had appointment. Logan discovered their only car was missing from the parking garage about 7 p.m.

Logan said he was later notified by his credit card company that his card, which was in the stolen Buick, was used to make about $400 worth of fraudulent purchases in Nashua.

The next day, a Tyngsboro officer attempted to stop the LeSabre in Tyngsboro about 8:36 p.m., only to have the driver, Clark, flee onto Route 3 south at speeds reaching 95 mph, according to prosecutors and police radio broadcasts.

The Tyngsboro officer was ordered to terminate the pursuit due to unsafe speeds, but a supervisor permitted him to continue following the LeSabre at lower speeds as state police and Chelmsford police were notified.

Chelmsford police began pursuing the vehicle after it exited Route 3 onto Route 40 in Chelmsford, eventually following the vehicle onto Richardson and Graniteville roads in Chelmsford, according to District Attorney Marian Ryan.

Clark stopped the Buick in the parking lot of Sully’s Ice Cream Stand, 55 Graniteville Road, and a Chelmsford police sergeant got out of his cruiser and approached the Buick, according to Ryan.

Clark put the Buick into reverse as the Chelmsford sergeant approached, and the sergeant got caught by the LeSabre’s door and dragged across the parking lot, striking a police cruiser that was parked nearby with his body, Ryan said.

A Tyngsboro officer who had arrived at the scene saw his colleague from Chelmsford being dragged between the LeSabre and the parked police cruiser, and fearing for his colleague’s life, fired two gunshots at Clark, according to Ryan.

Both gunshots struck Clark, who was flown by MedFlight to Boston Medical Center, where he was in critical condition on Sunday.

Employees of Sully’s heard the gunshots and hid in a back room of the ice cream stand until police eventually told them that everything outside was safe, workers told The Sun.

The Chelmsford sergeant suffered injuries to his back, arm and torso, and was treated and released from Lowell General Hospital, according to Ryan.

The Tyngsboro officer who shot Clark was placed on administrative leave, which is standard procedure.

The District Attorney’s Office continues to investigate the incident and the Tyngsboro officer’s use of force. The investigation remains open and active.

Ryan declined to comment on whether Clark has a criminal history during an early morning press conference Sunday, but arrest logs published in The Sun make it appear that he does.

Michael Clark, 25, of 46 Pawtucket Blvd., Tyngsboro, was arrested in Lowell in 2014 and charged with possession of a Class E drug. He was arrested in Chelmsford in 2013 and charged with operating after suspension and possession of a Class E substance.

In 2010, Clark was arrested in Nashua and charged with robbery for allegedly claiming he had a gun as he stole a ring from a kiosk at the Pheasant Lane Mall, according to a Nashua police press release from the time.

In 2009, Clark was one of the first people in the region to be issued a citation for possession of marijuana after possession was decriminalized when he was stopped by Pepperell police.

Follow Robert Mills on Twitter and Tout @Robert_Mills.