The Latest: New Mexico city cancels fireworks show
ROSWELL, N.M. (AP) — The Latest on a fireworks explosion that critically injured two New Mexico firefighters (all times local):
A New Mexico city is cancelling its Fourth of July fireworks show after an explosion critically injured two firefighters while they were moving fireworks for the event.
Roswell officials announced Friday there will be a concert and other activities but no fireworks in light of the June 5 accident. The two firefighters remain hospitalized.
The city was forced to destroy the remainder of the fireworks for safety reasons. Related city equipment also was damaged.
Officials say they do not plan to manage fireworks through the Roswell Fire Department or any other city department in the future.
Whether fireworks — through hiring a contractor or using another option — will be part of future city Fourth of July events has yet to be decided. A laser light show is another possible option.
Officials say two New Mexico firefighters remain in critical condition after they were injured in a fireworks explosion last week.
The Roswell Daily Record reported Thursday that 46-year-old Jeff Stroble and 36-year-old Robert “Hoby” Bonham have undergone multiple surgeries following the explosion at a fireworks storage area in Roswell.
Roswell Fire Chief Devin Graham says Stroble is experiencing complications, but he is doing better than expected. He is expected to undergo additional surgeries.
He says Bonham is able to walk around but is still experiencing severe pain.
Graham says the 10 other firefighters injured in the blast are recovering and did not need extended hospital stays.
Authorities say firefighters were packaging the fireworks for the city’s Fourth of July celebration.
Information from: Roswell Daily Record, http://www.roswell-record.com